Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Sebastián Gurin <se...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/29 19:48:39 UTC

[lucy-dev] Port to JavaScript with emscripten

Hello,

I wonder if somebody tried to compile lucy to JavaScript with
http://emscripten.org (C/C++ to JavaScript compiler). There are some
successful projects like https://github.com/medialize/sass.js/ to
bring new technologies to the JavaScript world from C/C++. IN the case
of lucene-like text indexer / search - this is for sure an area that
JavaScript lacks software. Also I wonder if the clownfish thing won't
make it difficult to perform such translation. So, before I tried, I
would like to know your thoughts.

Thanks! and BTW, lucy is very good ! Keep it up!

Re: [lucy-dev] Port to JavaScript with emscripten

Posted by Sebastián Gurin <se...@gmail.com>.
Aja! Thank you very much. Compiling both things, compiler and runtime
did the trick!  This is the final script (BTW would be nice to put
this in the docs since clownfish is not intuitive for newcomers:

FOLDER=/home/sg/test

mkdir -p $FOLDER/prefix
cd $FOLDER

git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucy-clownfish.git
cd $FOLDER/lucy-clownfish/runtime/c
./configure --prefix=$FOLDER/prefix
make
make install

cd $FOLDER/lucy-clownfish/compiler/c
./configure --prefix=$FOLDER/prefix
make
make install

cd $FOLDER
git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucy.git
cd $FOLDER/lucy/c
./configure --clownfish-prefix=$FOLDER/prefix --prefix=$FOLDER/prefix
make

# .h files generated $FOLDER/lucy/c/autogen/include/

Posted by Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de>.

Posted by Sebastián Gurin <se...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Marvin, yes that's was my plan more or less. I just disagree
with "The result wouldn't really be Lucy,". The idea of emscripten is
to be able to translate lucy automatically or semi-automatically if
possible, and the generated JavaScript code should be equivalent to
originals. Nevertheless, I was trying to get the .h files without luck
always getting the error:

/home/sg/test/prefix/bin/cfc --source=../core --source=../test
--include=/home/sg/test/prefix/share/clownfish/include --dest=autogen
--header=cfc_header
Parcel Clownfish v0.6.0 required by Lucy not found
make: *** [Makefile:522: autogen/hierarchy.json] Aborted (core dumped)

This is what I'm doing:

rm -rf /home/sg/test
mkdir -p /home/sg/test/prefix
cd /home/sg/test

git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucy-clownfish.git
cd lucy-clownfish/compiler/c
./configure --prefix=/home/sg/test/prefix
make
make install

cd /home/sg/test
git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucy.git
cd lucy/c
./configure --clownfish-prefix=/home/sg/test/prefix
--prefix=/home/sg/test/prefix
make

If you have any idea please help since I'm kind of blocked right now.
Also I tried cloning clownfish v0.6.0 with the following command byt
the same error happens:

git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucy-clownfish.git#cb4228524b7bef5af229c4f302eb68ce1573fa76

Thanks!

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.