Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Antoine Chevin <an...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/14 13:12:25 UTC

Testing failover on dispatcher/java-broker cluster

Hello Qpid community,

I’m testing the resilience of a dispatcher/broker infrastructure and I
noticed the following behavior:

I run a test with one JMS client connected to a dispatcher, which is
connected to a broker.

1)      Using JMS I establish a connection to the dispatcher and create a
message producer

2)      I’m able to send a message to the broker through the dispatcher

3)      I stop and restart the broker

4)      I cannot send any messages using the message producer I created
before.

5)      If a recreate a MessageProducer (new AMQP link), the message
arrives to the broker

In the failing scenario 4, I noticed using Wireshark that the dispatcher
does not send any messages to the broker. So I deduced that the broker is
not responsible for this behavior.

*Is it an expected behavior? What can I change in the dispatcher/JMS
configuration to avoid the failure?*

You can find attached the Wireshark logs I produced from this experiment:

-          JMS – dispatcher – reuse sender: logs between JMS and the
dispatcher when I reuse the message producer after the restart

-          JMS – dispatcher – new sender: logs between JMS and the
dispatcher when I create a new message producer after the restart

-          dispatcher – broker – reuse sender: logs between the dispatcher
and the broker, I reuse the message producer

-          dispatcher – broker – reuse sender: logs between the dispatcher
and the broker, I create a new message producer

I’m using qpid-dispatch 0.6.0, JMS 0.9.0 and qpid-java-broker 6.0.1.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Antoine

Re: Testing failover on dispatcher/java-broker cluster

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
Hi Antoine,

In the broker traces, I see connection shutdown after the transfer but
before you shut down the broker.  Do you know what is happening there?
What was the disposition of the delivery?

-Ted