Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Elrion <el...@yahoo.com> on 2003/11/03 17:13:38 UTC

[users@httpd] Puzzling 502 Bad Gateway Error

Hello,

I have installed Apache 1.3.28 for the first time on my Win98 machine. Following inscructions from the book "PHP Fast and Easy Web Development", I've modified the ServerAdmin and ServerName settings to, respectively, my e-mail address and the local IP number (127.0.0.1). No other configuration change was made during the install (complete set-up, default destination folder). A "Test Configuration" check was successfully completed.

When I start Apache, I get a "no such file or directory: exec()" warning in the DOS prompt window. However, the server seems to run. A second problem occurs when I try to access the default start page (http://127.0.0.1/). My default browser (IE 6) displays the dreaded "Bad Gateway Error." More precisely:
"The following error occurred:
[code=DNS_HOST_NOT_FOUND] The host name was not found during the DNS lookup. Contact your system administrator if the problem is not found by retrying the URL."

I have no firewall installed, and my browser is set to "bypass proxy server for local addresses."

The Apache error log also reports the following problems:
"[Mon Nov 03 15:52:45 2003] [warn] (2)No such file or directory: exec() may not be safe
[Mon Nov 03 15:52:45 2003] [warn] (2)No such file or directory: exec() may not be safe
[Mon Nov 03 15:52:45 2003] [warn] exec() may not be safe
[Mon Nov 03 15:52:46 2003] [warn] exec() may not be safe"

Help, anyone?

Warm regards,

~/\~Elrion
[e] elrion_dr@yahoo.com
[w] http://www.livejournal.com/~elrion

Re: [users@httpd] Puzzling 502 Bad Gateway Error

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
[plain text, please]

Elrion wrote:
> I have installed Apache 1.3.28 for the first time on my Win98 machine.
> ...snip...
> Help, anyone?

Sorry, I have not messed with Apache 1.3 on Windows, and no Apache at all on
Windows 9x/ME.

Personally, I think Apache 2.0 is much better to use in Windows environment,
as, from what I understand, it was the first version developed from scratch
with true portability in mind (APR etc).

I suggest you try installing Apache 2.0.48:
    http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

...and hopefully your problem goes away.

Regards,
Robert Andersson