Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Jan Becicka <Ja...@oracle.com> on 2013/10/03 17:18:17 UTC

Cordova versioning

Hi,
  I'm a NetBeans developer and we are really close to releasing NetBeans 7.4 with support for cordova. NetBeans FCS bits are now ready for testing. NetBeans checks for cordova version and expects version string to be in format "number.number.number" in hope, that this format marks stable cordova versions.

Now I updated to new cordova and it does not work with NetBeans, because version string is 3.1.0-0.1.0 and NetBeans things that it is dev version and refuse to work with it.
Is this final state? Is there a way how to install 3.1.0 version? Can I ask to follow versioning scheme and release versions in format number.number.number?

Thanks,
Jan

Re: Cordova versioning

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Jan, if you are distributing a copy of Cordova in NetBeans, it would be nice for you to add yourself to the list of "Downstream distributions" at https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/FrontPage. Same for any distributors.

Re: Cordova versioning

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
Jan,

This project has two different versioning strategies for the various
pieces: Cadence versioning (ie, 3.1.0 for end of Sept 2013) and Semantic
versioning (ie, major.minor.point), and for 3.1 release the CLI uses a
combination of both!

Please take a look at
http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/VersioningAndReleaseStrategy  for more
information on this.

I'm not sure how likely we are to change the versioning scheme again, since
there have been a few hiccups as we move to a more SemVer friendly scheme,
but at the moment I would suggest supporting the new style of version
number for CLI (i.e. CAD-SEM, a.b.c-x.y.z).

-Michal