Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Eddie Yee <ed...@hotmail.com> on 2007/11/27 18:45:17 UTC

Tomcat 5.5 server.xml populating a context section by itself

Hi,

I'm running Tomcat 5.5.25 on Solaris, and we are using a lot of environment entries in our applications.  I have the environment entry specified in the conf/server.xml and also declared in the conf/context.xml.    One thing I noticed is that our server.xml continually populates it's own context section for each application, even if I have it specified globally in the conf/context.xml.

This population of the context for our app in the server.xml is preventing us from undeploying our application hence requiring a restart every time we need to deploy.

I know our developers are putting the environment resource list in their app under WEB-INF/web.xml    Is there something else we need to do to prevent the server.xml from populating it's own context section per app?

Thanks,
Eddie

Re: Tomcat 5.5 server.xml populating a context section by itself

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Eddie Yee wrote:
> One thing I noticed is that our server.xml continually populates it's own context section for each application, even if I have it specified globally in the conf/context.xml.
Could you expand on "server.xml continually populates it's own context
section for each application". I am not sure what you mean by this.

If you mean that every context is automatically added to server.xml then
that might be a side-effect of using the admin application.

Mark