Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Calin Pavel <ca...@tvh.com> on 2019/10/28 15:15:13 UTC

Client browser timezone offset

I'm trying to detect what is the current timezone offset for a client
browser accessing my Wicket application.
I found out that BrowserInfoForm.ClientPropertiesBean contains details
about:
- utcOffset
- utcDstOffset
but these are calculated at 1.Jan and 1.June.

Is there any way to determine on server side what is the CURRENT timezone
offset of the client?
I've tried to use ClientPropertiesBean.timeZone, but that is relative /
guest and not real client timezone.

--

Kind Regards,

*CALIN PAVELSoftware Engineer - consultant*
calin.pavel@tvh.com

*TVH PARTS HOLDING NV*
Vichtseweg 129 • BE-8790 WAREGEM
T +32 56 43 42 11 <+3256434211> • F +32 56 43 44 88 • www.tvh.com

<https://www.tvh.com/>

--

**** DISCLAIMER
<https://media.tvh.com/content/pdf/various/Email-disclaimer.pdf> ****

This
message is delivered to all addressees subject to the conditions set forth
in the attached disclaimer, which is an integral part of this message.

When you communicate with us via e-mail, telephone, fax or via our website,
we process your personal data. For more information on how we process your
personal data, please consult our Privacy Policy
<https://www.tvh.com/privacy-policy>. By communicating with us, you
unambiguously consent to our use of your personal data as explained in the
Privacy Policy.

Re: Client browser timezone offset

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
https://github.com/apache/wicket/pull/396

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Client browser timezone offset

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
@Calin, you can use (new Date().getTimezoneOffset() / -60);
Then you can use code like this
http://examples8x.wicket.apache.org/ajaxhellobrowser/wicket/bookmarkable/org.apache.wicket.examples.source.SourcesPage;jsessionid=01612235C0920A71B39B2D8CA0FA641A?0&SourcesPage_class=org.apache.wicket.examples.ajaxhellobrowser.AjaxHelloBrowser&source=AjaxHelloBrowser.java

to get this value on the server side

@Martin Actually the code works, BUT
1) for me it shows timezone as "GMT+07:00" instead of Asia/Novosibirsk
    And there are a lot of time zones with same offset ....
2) there are a lot of magic in the current code (for ex.
southern hemisphere time zone calculation
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-6689)
3*) I guess this calculation can stop working in a year time zone rules are
changed

I believe this might be improvement to wicket code base to let browser do
the real time zone calculation :)

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 at 00:21, Calin Pavel <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Current code is working ok. There is no problem with it.
> But it gives you the UtcOffset at 1.Jan.2019 and UtcDstOffset at
> 1.June.2019.
>
> But I do not know how to determine what is the CURRENT timezone offset
> (for Date.NOW)
>
> On 10/28/2019 6:24 PM, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I didn't get what is the problem with the current code.
> > For me http://examples8x.wicket.apache.org/ajaxhellobrowser/ shows
> > utcDSTOffset=3
> > utcOffset=2
> > which seems to be correct.
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 5:56 PM Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On the other hand: the old code can be used if TZ is not available
> >> I'll do some tests and will create PR

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6939685/get-client-time-zone-from-browser

> details

> >> timezone