Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <er...@earthlink.net> on 2001/06/06 06:30:24 UTC

Re: [SUBMIT] mimemail task

Whats the status of the <mimemail> task?

Is it committable in its current state or are the changes that Stefan
proposed needed before it can be committed?  Anyone working on these
changes?   I could make the changes needed for the FileSet enhancement if
that is all that is holding up it being committed.   Is a zipfileset or
tarfileset really needed?   Wouldn't it be acceptable to zip or tar files
prior to the executation of the mimemail task?

I just successfully added the MimeMail class to my local installation and
re-built the optional.jar, etc.   It requires the mail.jar and
activation.jar as specified below, which also means that the bootstrap.bat
(and probably others, although I only modified bootstrap.bat on my system)
needs modification to have these jars listed similarly to the junit.jar.
[Or is this modification not really needed and I'm missing some piece in how
optional tasks that depend on other .jars get recognized?]

This task works just fine for what I need.

Thanks,
    Erik "learning more and more about the internals of Ant by the minute!"
Hatcher

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> Whats the status of the <mimemail> task?
>
> Is it committable in its current state or are the changes that Stefan
> proposed needed before it can be committed?  Anyone working on these
> changes?   I could make the changes needed for the FileSet enhancement if
> that is all that is holding up it being committed.   Is a zipfileset or
> tarfileset really needed?   Wouldn't it be acceptable to zip or tar files
> prior to the executation of the mimemail task?

I believe a simple fileset is all that is needed, plus build.xml changed to
only buld the file if the appropriate dependencies are found.

I havent done the fileset; didnt know how to at the time. I do now but am
very busy and this task is not a priority. Paulo Gaspar
(paulo.gaspar@krankikom.de) said he was going to have a look at it a week or
two back, the plan being to merge his mail task with mimemail. We should
check what progress he's made.

> I just successfully added the MimeMail class to my local installation and
> re-built the optional.jar, etc.   It requires the mail.jar and
> activation.jar as specified below, which also means that the bootstrap.bat
> (and probably others, although I only modified bootstrap.bat on my system)
> needs modification to have these jars listed similarly to the junit.jar.
> [Or is this modification not really needed and I'm missing some piece in
how
> optional tasks that depend on other .jars get recognized?]

The practice for optional jars is their need is mentioned in the task doc
(with URLs) and the build file only builds that file if the optional jars
are found.

One other item to consider is whether there were any unit tests one could
do. I dont want to get into testing email transport itself, but we could
build tests for validating the to and from fields, and for validating the
attachment fileset. If the to=="" validation is done in execute() after
building up the file list, then we could check for the attachment code
working, relying on the destination check to prevent us from sending email.

-steve