Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/01 00:44:16 UTC

[VOTE] Pick your preferred name

I know this is un-Apache-like, but please respond to the following list with
a selection, in order, of the top three names for the project currently
known as Apache Connectors Framework.  The choices
are:

Apache Connectors Framework
Apache Acromantula
Apache Manifold
Apache ManifoldCF
Apache Multiplex
Apache Lucon
Apache Lukon
Apache Yukon
Apache Macon
Apache Omni
Apache Omnivore
Apache CMCF (yes, I just invented that one ;-) )
Apache Multivore (yes, I just invented that one too. ;-) )

I don't think I missed any?  If I did, chastise me severely please. ;-)

Karl

Re: [VOTE] Pick your preferred name

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure Robert's strategy should be legal.  It never honestly occurred
> to me that anyone would try to do that.  For that reason, I am toying with
> the idea of just counting his first (highest) vote, which right now would
> still yield the same result.  I think that meets everyone's expectations
> appropriately.

+1, I was just emphasizing a point (it shouldnt count 3 times, thats not
fair)

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Pick your preferred name

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure Robert's strategy should be legal.  It never honestly occurred
to me that anyone would try to do that.  For that reason, I am toying with
the idea of just counting his first (highest) vote, which right now would
still yield the same result.  I think that meets everyone's expectations
appropriately.

As for revoting to boost one result upwards, that's perfectly valid, as long
as we don't devolve into indefinite rounds of revoting. ;-)

Karl

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Voting is now closed.

Final tally (which only counts Robert's first choice and not all three):

Apache Connectors Framework 15
Apache Manifold 11
Apache Yukon 9
Apache Macon 4
Apache ManifoldCF 3
Apache Omni 1
Apache Acromantula 1
Apache Lukon 1

Grant, I trust you are in a position to inform general@incubator.org of this
vote?

Karl

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@lucidimagination.com>.
If people want to abandon the weaker candidates and give the stronger
candidates a bigger win, that seems reasonable and desirable. That said, I
may just stick with my original votes on principle.

If "Datasource Connector" also had an abstract name in front of it (like
"Apache Conda Datasource Connector", I'd be more in favor of it. It is much
easier to write and say "Conda" than any of those longer descriptive names.
Or how about... "Anaconda" - "Apache Anaconda" or "Apache Anaconda
Datasource Connector" or "Apache Anaconda Connectors Framework". Rats, there
is already a Fedora project called Anaconda. But "Conda" still seems
promising.

The real problem with the longer names is that they have to be turned into
acronyms and that is what really gets used most of the time. Presumably the
leading "A" for "Apache" should not be part of the acronym, so the proper
acronym for "Apache Connectors Framework" should be CF, but I imagine it
will go by ACF since that is what seems in use today. I am just wondering
how it will be listed on the Apache project list and what subdomain name
will be used for the project once it graduates from incubation. I checked
and the actual usage is mixed; sometimes the words are catenated and
sometimes an acronym is used, but not with a leading "a".

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

--------------------------

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jettro Coenradie <je...@gridshore.nl>.
Apache Yukon
Apache Macon
Apache Manifold

--
Jettro Coenradie
http://www.gridshore.nl

Re: [VOTE] Pick your preferred name

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
Apache Manifold

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Pick your preferred name

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Pick your preferred name

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 8/31/10 7:09 PM, Matt Weber wrote:
> Don't know if this is an open vote... but if it is:
>
> Apache Connectors Framework
> Apache Yukon
> Apache Manifold

The more input the merrier!

Re: [VOTE] Pick your preferred name

Posted by Matt Weber <ma...@mattweber.org>.
Don't know if this is an open vote... but if it is:

Apache Connectors Framework
Apache Yukon
Apache Manifold

Matt Weber

 3:58 PM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apache Manifold
> Apache Connectors Framework
> Apache Yukon
>
> - mark
>
> On 8/31/10 6:54 PM, Karl Wright wrote:
>> My preferences:
>>
>> Apache Connectors Framework
>> Apache Manifold
>> Apache Acromantula
>>
>> Karl
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I know this is un-Apache-like, but please respond to the following list
>>> with a selection, in order, of the top three names for the project currently
>>> known as Apache Connectors Framework.  The choices
>>> are:
>>>
>>> Apache Connectors Framework
>>> Apache Acromantula
>>> Apache Manifold
>>> Apache ManifoldCF
>>> Apache Multiplex
>>> Apache Lucon
>>> Apache Lukon
>>> Apache Yukon
>>> Apache Macon
>>> Apache Omni
>>> Apache Omnivore
>>> Apache CMCF (yes, I just invented that one ;-) )
>>> Apache Multivore (yes, I just invented that one too. ;-) )
>>>
>>> I don't think I missed any?  If I did, chastise me severely please. ;-)
>>>
>>> Karl

Matt Weber

Re: [VOTE] Pick your preferred name

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.