Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by rs...@apache.org on 1998/07/06 14:04:36 UTC

Re: os-sco/2533: Apache 1.3.0 won't build with Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) support

Synopsis: Apache 1.3.0 won't build with Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) support

State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
State-Changed-By: rse
State-Changed-When: Mon Jul  6 05:04:36 PDT 1998
State-Changed-Why:
Thanks for your patch. A few notes:

1. The common_init problem is now already fixed
   by having the SecureWare stuff in REALMAIN.
   But nevertheless thanks for the hint.

2. The DSO related patches are fine and are now
   already comitted by me for Apache 1.3.1

3. The FCNTL-related change I cannot review because
   I don't have a SCO box available. Are you
   really sure SCO5 doesn't need USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT?

4. The DBM stuff is IMHO too much. Just a
   DBM_LIB="-lndbm" should be enough and working fine.
   Can you please remove the find-dbm-lib patch
   for you and try again without it and give feedback
   if it still works? Thanks.

5. I'm confused by three new libs -ltinfo -lx -lm.
   Ok, libm is no problem, but what are libx and libtinfo?
   libtinfo = terminfo library? Ops, for Apache?
   Please give us more hints why these are actually
   needed. Thanks.

Re: os-sco/2533: Apache 1.3.0 won't build with Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) support

Posted by Ronald Joe Record <rr...@sco.COM>.
Thanks for accepting the patches necessary to get Apache to
build with DSO support on SCO OpenServer. I'll try to explain
the need for additional patches.

First, a kernel bug in OpenServer 5.0.0 and 5.0.2 made it
necessary to build Apache with USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT.
That bug was fixed in 5.0.4 and a patch made available for
5.0.0/5.0.2 systems. Further, i have created an installation
script which detects what release you are installing on and
whether you need to apply the "Network Maintenance Supplement".
Therefore, i can now build Apache without the
USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT which gets me much better performance.
So, as long as you get Apache for OpenServer from _me_ (that is,
the SCO Skunkware CD-ROM or web site), you're ok. If you build
it yourself, you'd better know whether you need to apply the
appropriate support supplement.

Second, you were right, i was able to remove the find-dbm-lib
patch and successfully build Apache 1.3.0. Forget that patch.

Third, i still find the addition of "-lx -ltinfo -lm" to be
necessary on OpenServer. It's no doubt a bug or at least
incorrectly documented, but any time -lprot is used you also
need -lx and -ltinfo to get nap(), cur_term(), setup_term()
and others. I've informed our development system guys and
this may be fixed in a later release but for now these libs
are necessary. FYI, libx is the SCO Xenix enhancements which
have been carried forward since time immemorial while libtinfo
is the terminfo library. It looks like libprot is supposed to
setup its own curses stuff but isn't built correctly.

To summarize, i believe the patches i submitted for src/Configure
and src/include/conf.h are appropriate.

Let me know if you need further details,

Ron Record
rr@sco.com

re: