Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/13 15:00:10 UTC

Re: Sufficient rights for a software grant

Legal Discuss <le...@apache.org>

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The PDFBox project is entering Apache through the Incubator, and we're
> expecting the source code to be migrated here. We'll be getting
> software grants from all the key developers, but  there are a lot of
> small contributions made over time by a number of people whom we may
> no longer be able to contact.
>
> The project has always been BSD-licensed and some time ago as a part
> of another license review Ben Litchfield, the original author of
> PDFBox, even managed to contact most or all the contributors for a
> confirmation that their contributions were meant to be BSD-licensed.
> I'm not sure if there's a good paper trail of those confirmations.
>
> Does this mean that Ben and the other key developers have "sufficient
> rights" as mentioned on the software grant form to grant a license to
> all of the PDFBox code to Apache, or do we have to contact all the
> contributors for separate grants?

We (the pdfbox incubator podling) are assuming that the lack of
response to Jukka's question means that software grants from the
primary authors are sufficient:

http://markmail.org/message/3esxkmsel5cm3hoy

Niall

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Niall Pemberton
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Legal Discuss <le...@apache.org>
>
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The PDFBox project is entering Apache through the Incubator, and we're
>> expecting the source code to be migrated here. We'll be getting
>> software grants from all the key developers, but  there are a lot of
>> small contributions made over time by a number of people whom we may
>> no longer be able to contact.
>>
>> The project has always been BSD-licensed and some time ago as a part
>> of another license review Ben Litchfield, the original author of
>> PDFBox, even managed to contact most or all the contributors for a
>> confirmation that their contributions were meant to be BSD-licensed.
>> I'm not sure if there's a good paper trail of those confirmations.
>>
>> Does this mean that Ben and the other key developers have "sufficient
>> rights" as mentioned on the software grant form to grant a license to
>> all of the PDFBox code to Apache, or do we have to contact all the
>> contributors for separate grants?
>
> We (the pdfbox incubator podling) are assuming that the lack of
> response to Jukka's question means that software grants from the
> primary authors are sufficient:

Ack.  Originally BSD-licensed.  A good faith effort was made to
contact everybody involved.  Successfully obtained an explicit
software grant from all of the primary authors.

Works for me.

> http://markmail.org/message/3esxkmsel5cm3hoy
>
> Niall
>
>> BR,