Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Rajasekar Elango <re...@salesforce.com> on 2015/06/30 21:06:33 UTC

Reimaging zookeeper host

We are running 3-node zookeeper cluster and we need to re-image (re-install
os) on zookeeper host. Is it ok to lose zookeeper dataDir during upgrade or
should back up zookeeper dataDir and restore when zookeeper comes backup
online? Will kafka and consumers work fine if we bring up zookeeper with
emtpy dataDir with just myid file?

Raja.

Re: Reimaging zookeeper host

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.
Hey Rajasekar,

Are you updating zookeeper itself or just the image? Either way, it's
probably best to preserve the data if possible. Usually people update
zookeeper using a rolling reboot to make sure no data is lost. You just
have to make sure you give the rebooted host has enough time to rejoin the
cluster and synchronize its state before you do the others. I'd also
recommend trying the update on a test cluster before trying on production
if you have one available.

-Jason