Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Andrew Hammond <dr...@xyzzy.dhs.org> on 2004/01/29 21:17:40 UTC

RollingFileAppender variant with timestamping?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a variant on the RollingFileAppender. The standard mechanism is to rename files on rollOver(): foo.98 -> foo.99, ... ,  foo.1 -> foo.2, foo -> foo.1

I'd like to avoid renaming files because it fiddles ctime and makes using rsync to back up / copy log files problematic. What I'd like instead is an appender which uses <basename>-<timestamp> for the new file name every time it rolls. I've googled and searched the list archives for this kind of variant, but no luck. Has does anyone know of such a beast or would I have to write it?

Drew