Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Olga Smola <ol...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/15 10:01:56 UTC

Construct / change role permissions

Hi,

I would like to discuss CloudStack roles capabilities. As far as I
understand, there are 3 distinct roles and there is no possibility to
change any role permissions. Sometimes it's not so comfortable for
situation when it is needed to allow some action from one role to another
one. For example, if you would like to allow USER new action "Add account",
you can't. Because there is no API command for USER. What about new roles?
Have you got any ideas how to extend the CloudStack mechanism of roles
creation? It will be more convenient if there is something that allow to
create custom roles with needed permissions. For example, give basic role
ADMIN or USER and then create new role based on it, change
permissions(remove, add). Something like Role's constructor.
Also I would like to know if somebody else needs similar extension?

Fill free to write any ideas.

Thanks a lot,
Olga

RE: Construct / change role permissions

Posted by Deepti Dohare <de...@citrix.com>.
I have added a patch (https://reviews.apache.org/r/5573/diff/#index_header) for CS-15300. It enables a domain admin account  to respect the limits.

This bug also state that  domain admin shouldn't have the right to create infinite resources.  In this case what should be the maximum limit of the resources, a domain admin account can have?

Thanks
Deepti

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Clayton Weise <cw...@iswest.net>.

Posted by Clayton Weise <cw...@iswest.net>.

Posted by Will Chan <wi...@citrix.com>.
That could be a bug.  As far as I know domain-admins should be limited as well.

Will

Posted by Will Chan <wi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Alena Prokharchyk <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Alena Prokharchyk <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Clayton Weise <cw...@iswest.net>.
With regard to the subject of roles.  I've noticed that domain admins do not have limits enforced.  So if a domain is limited to 10 snapshots, a domain admin can create 11.  And because limits cannot be imposed, as far as we're concerned, this type of user is pretty much useless because we have no way to control what it can do.  Is this by design?  And if so, why and is there a way it can be changed so that domain admins can have limits enforced?

Thanks,
Clayton

Posted by Clayton Weise <cw...@iswest.net>.

Posted by Will Chan <wi...@citrix.com>.