Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Amir Mistric <am...@nemours.org> on 2007/05/23 14:42:06 UTC

JCR-936

Hi Jackrabbit developers

I was wondering if someone can comment on the bug I reported https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-936
I believe it has to do with the way Oracle handles empty strings (interprets them as NULLs) and the root node having a name == "" ....

We are trying to use Oracle as a backend for Magnolia ECMS (which uses Jackrabbit 1.3)
My company spent significant amount of money into Oracle infrastructure and I have no other choice of a DB.

I would like to know if Oracle based PersistanceManagers and FileSystems will be resolved in next release of Jackrabbit and when that may be...I know it is maybe a lot to ask but we are at the standstill...

Thanks
Amir

Re: JCR-936

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On 5/23/07, Amir Mistric <am...@nemours.org> wrote:
> What could be the problem then? The error states is a NULL constraint violation?

see http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-936

cheers
stefan

RE: JCR-936

Posted by Amir Mistric <am...@nemours.org>.

Re: JCR-936

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
hi amir,

RE: JCR-936

Posted by Amir Mistric <am...@nemours.org>.
Jukka

Yes, I know it was weird and I could not figure out why it was doing it.
I had my Oracle DBA trace the calls and make sure all the privileges are correct. He didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

One suggestion I would have is to have Jackrabiit check the schema after creation (some sort of consistency check) and then use your recovery idea...
Another useful thing would be a more meaningful message during schema consistency check...

But like you said applying schema manually resolves the problem...

Thanks

Amir

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 5/23/07, Amir Mistric <am...@nemours.org> wrote:
> We are using Oracle 10g with Oracle Database 10g  Release 2 (10.2.0.2) JDBC Drivers
> If you are using new Oracle bundle PM then I don't know what the problem is....It just
> throws an error...

Quriously enough I just encountered the same problem yesterday. In my
case the problem was that the schema creation code failed for some
reason (apparently a limitation on the length of table names), which
left the schema partially instantiated. In effect I had all the tables
I needed but not the essential trigger used to populate the ID column
in an INSERT, thus I would get the mentioned exception.

I solved the issue by manually adding the missing trigger, but it
would be nice if Jackrabbit could somehow automatically recover from
or at least provide better error reporting for such cases. I'll see if
I can do something about that.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

RE: JCR-936

We are using jackrabbit 1.3 (new bundle pm) with oracle in production environment and it works fine..
Which version of oracle / jdbc driver you are using ?

BR,
claus

AW: JCR-936