Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Pavel Janík <Pa...@Janik.cz> on 2013/04/03 10:22:14 UTC

Binfilter removal - PATCH

Hi,

http://tmp.janik.cz/AO/binfilter-removal.diff

This is the first attempt to remove module binfilter. To add more to this, we should remove directories binfilter and scp2/source/binfilter.
--
Pavel Janík

Re: Binfilter removal - PATCH

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> Module binfilter removed ->  We do no longer read or write the legacy
>> StarOffice formats (files with extensions XXX,XXX,XXX, etc.).  Removal of
>> this code brings advantages of XXXX.   Since OpenOffice.org version XXX
>> the
>> default format has been Open Document Format (ODF).  Users with legacy
>> StarOffice documents are advised to re-save them into ODF format (*.odt,
>> *.ods, *.odp, etc.) *before* upgrading to Apache OpenOffice 4.0.
>>
>> Of course, we need to fill in the blanks ;-)
>>

> Here's the needed information. Feel free to rephrase.
>
> We do no longer read or write the legacy StarOffice formats (files with
> extensions .sdw, .sdc, .sdd, etc.).  Removal of this code makes the
> OpenOffice codebase easier to maintain.  The legacy formats have never been
> the default format in any version of OpenOffice.  Users with legacy
> StarOffice documents are advised to re-save them into ODF format (*.odt,
> *.ods, *.odp, etc.) *before* upgrading to Apache OpenOffice 4.0. This can
> be done using File - Wizards - Document Converter in OpenOffice 3.x.
> OpenOffice 1.x files (*.sxw, *.sxc, *.sxi) are still supported.

Thanks.  I added that to the wiki.

-Rob

Re: Binfilter removal - PATCH

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Binfilter removal - PATCH

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 1:59 AM, Pavel Janík <Pa...@janik.cz> wrote:

> > Excellent!
> >
> > What should we put in the Release Notes for this?  We are started to
> > collect the info here:
>
> Changes that Impact Backwards Compatibility
>
> Module binfilter removed -> we do no longer support old fileformats from
> StarOffice.
>

>From end-user perspective it would help to explain the impact and
recommended steps.  Maybe something like this:

Re: Binfilter removal - PATCH

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/5/13 7:59 AM, Pavel Janík wrote:
>> Excellent!
>>
>> What should we put in the Release Notes for this?  We are started to
>> collect the info here:
>
> Changes that Impact Backwards Compatibility
>
> Module binfilter removed -> we do no longer support old fileformats from StarOffice.

We discussed the advantage of removing binfilter and maybe it's a good
idea to explain exactly in the release notes which formats are not
longer supported.

Juergen

Re: Binfilter removal - PATCH

Posted by Pavel Janík <Pa...@Janik.cz>.

Re: Binfilter removal - PATCH

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Pavel Janík <Pa...@janik.cz> wrote:

> This
> >>
> >> +1 please do it on trunk !
> > It is already disabled by default when we build snapshots. I don't see
> any reason against doing it on trunk.
>
> Done on trunk. Module binfilter is still there though. Before removing it,
> I'd like to do some testing (I manually remove the module before the build).
> --

Excellent!

What should we put in the Release Notes for this?  We are started to
collect the info here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.0+Release+Notes

How would we explain this to end users?  What's the impact?  What do they
need to know?

Thanks!

-Rob

Re: Binfilter removal - PATCH

Posted by Pavel Janík <Pa...@Janik.cz>.

Re: Binfilter removal - PATCH

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Binfilter removal - PATCH

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Binfilter removal - PATCH

Posted by Pavel Janík <Pa...@Janik.cz>.

Re: Binfilter removal - PATCH

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/3/13 10:45 AM, janI wrote:
> On 3 April 2013 10:22, Pavel Janík <Pa...@janik.cz> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> http://tmp.janik.cz/AO/binfilter-removal.diff
>>
>> This is the first attempt to remove module binfilter. To add more to this,
>> we should remove directories binfilter and scp2/source/binfilter.
>>

> +1 to remove directories,

+1 for removal of binfilter

> Are there other directories (modules) in main that are antique ?

many contains antique code ;-)

Juergen

Re: Binfilter removal - PATCH

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.