Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Bryan Keller <br...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/23 22:46:43 UTC

Starting Hadoop on OS X fails, nohup issue

I am trying to get Hadoop 0.21.0 running on OS X 10.6.5 in pseudo-distributed mode. I downloaded and extracted the tarball, and I followed the instructions on editing core-site.xml, hdfs-site.xml, and mapred-site.xml. I also set JAVA_HOME in hadoop-env.sh as well as in my .profile. When attempting to start, I am getting the following error:

"localhost: nohup: can't detach from console: Inappropriate ioctl for device"

For what it's worth, I also tried Hadoop 0.20.0 from Cloudera and am having the exact same issue with nohup. If I remove "nohup" from the hadoop-daemon.sh script, it seems to start OK.