Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org> on 2017/08/26 18:35:13 UTC

[IMPORTANT] Removing Facebook's BSD+Patents License dependencies

Hi Bigtop users,

As you may already know, the Facebook's BSD+Patents license is no longer
allowed in ASF projects[1]. While Apache Bigtop source code isn't affected,
we can't assure our users that the project's binary convenience artifacts
are
clean.
The Bigtop PMC has done a scan and identified that Kafka 0.10.1.1 shipped
in Bigtop 1.2.0 repository has been affected. To comply with ASF policy, we
have to remove all the affected artifacts.

Effective on September 1st, 2017, the following artifacts will be deleted:

Bigtop 1.2.0 repository[2]:
* kafka-0.10.1.1
* kafka-server-0.10.1.1

We apologize for any inconvenience it might cause. If you want to continue
using Kafka artifacts, there's a couple of options available to you:
- make a copy of the packages
- build the packages from the correct release branch, using official
Bigtop toolchain and containerized environments.
Either choice might expose you or your users to the risk of a license
clash. Please consider seeking a legal advice if in doubt.

If you'd like to use development binary artifacts, public Bigtop CI[3]
will supply regularly build packages for testing and experiments.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-303
[2] https://www.apache.org/dist/bigtop/bigtop-1.2.0/repos
[3] https://ci.bigtop.apache.org/

If you have any question, please direct them to this mailing list.

Thanks.
Evans Ye, Bigtop PMC Chair