Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2004/05/01 19:06:53 UTC

Re: Free Microsoft Compilers

At 10:16 AM 4/17/2004, Jeff White wrote:

><quote>
>
>The Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 includes
>the core tools developers need to compile and link
>C++-based applications for Windows and the .NET
>Common Language Runtime:
>
>Microsoft C/C++ Optimizing Compiler and Linker.
>C Runtime Library and the C++ Standard Library,
>including the Standard Template Library.  These
>are the same static-link libraries included with
>Visual Studio. Microsoft .NET Framework Common
>Language Runtime. Visual C++ can optionally build
>applications that target the Common Language
>Runtime (CLR).
></quote>
>
>Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Thanks for the reference Jeff!

Unfortunately it is missing the #1 bit we need to pull off a free
build of httpd or apr, and that is nmake :(

It looks like, with a free make and awk though, the end user could
build all of apache with this compiler.  Hmmm, didn't the asf have some
sort of make environment (ant anyone :-?)

It also means folks have a full set of Win32 API headers/link stubs
legitimately obtained, that if someone built under mingw/cygwin/other
environments they don't have to grab a full-blown, overstuffed PSDK :)

Bill

Re: Free Microsoft Compilers

Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.
From: "William A. Rowe, Jr."

> >Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003
> >http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/
>
> Thanks for the reference Jeff!
>
> Unfortunately it is missing the #1 bit
> we need to pull off a free
> build of httpd or apr, and that is nmake :(
>
> It looks like, with a free make

Lots of those.

But what is a makefile?  :)
(read below)

<quote>

Starting with the Visual Studio 2005 release,
the Microsoft build engine black box is extracted
from Visual Studio. The new build engine, MSBuild,
becomes extensible and available for all since it will
ship with the .NET Framework.

Snip

MSBuild is a technology installed with the CLR in
Visual Studio 2005 and "Longhorn." Its goal is to
replace makefiles by project files written in XML
that let you build large-scale systems.

</quote>

Overview of MSBuild, Part 1: From a Project Author's Perspective
http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnlong/html/msbuildpart1.asp

Now ASF has XML for
Windows installation,
Windows building,
where are the
Windows httpd XML configs?    :)

> and awk though, the end user could
> build all of apache with this compiler.

And with the files from the .NET Framework
SDK, one can create a simple Apache CPP
module that loads .NET Framework assemblies
written in CSharp (C#) or VB or whatever.

Jeff