Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Bill <bi...@noteandgo.com> on 2013/03/28 16:16:27 UTC

Intermittent 401 errors during replication

I'm having an issue with a continuous filtered pull replication pulling from my
server side db to my mobile app. For some reason, I'm getting intermittent 401
errors after the replication begins. These errors cause TouchDB to prematurely
stop replicating because it thinks there's an authentication problem. Before
stopping though, the app does successfully pull a number of documents which is
strange. I would think if there were an authentication issue, it wouldn't be
able to pull any. I've encountered this problem both with a database hosted on
IrisCouch, and an instance I have running locally. The fact that I get the
errors with both instances makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my
couchdb setup. I have a server admin user set up on IrisCouch and locally. And
I've set up both admins and members on the databases themselves. I currently
have require_valid_user = false in the couchdb config but I still get the 401s.
Is there anything else anyone can think of to help me fix or debug this? I
really appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Bill

Re: Intermittent 401 errors during replication

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 28 March 2013 16:16, Bill <bi...@noteandgo.com> wrote:
> I'm having an issue with a continuous filtered pull replication pulling from my
> server side db to my mobile app. For some reason, I'm getting intermittent 401
> errors after the replication begins. These errors cause TouchDB to prematurely
> stop replicating because it thinks there's an authentication problem. Before
> stopping though, the app does successfully pull a number of documents which is
> strange. I would think if there were an authentication issue, it wouldn't be
> able to pull any. I've encountered this problem both with a database hosted on
> IrisCouch, and an instance I have running locally. The fact that I get the
> errors with both instances makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my
> couchdb setup. I have a server admin user set up on IrisCouch and locally. And
> I've set up both admins and members on the databases themselves. I currently
> have require_valid_user = false in the couchdb config but I still get the 401s.
> Is there anything else anyone can think of to help me fix or debug this? I
> really appreciate any help!
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Hi Bill,

perhaps you can change [log] level = debug in your local.ini file, and
capture some info about what happens? If you're really keen, running
`ngrep port 5984` and using something like charles proxy or wireshark
to peer into the wire data is pretty handy.

A+
Dave