Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu> on 2011/11/07 22:44:21 UTC

Re: changing omitNorms on an already built index

On 10/27/2011 9:14 PM, Erick Erickson wrote:
> Well, this could be explained if your fields are very short. Norms
> are encoded into (part of?) a byte, so your ranking may be unaffected.
>
> Try adding debugQuery=on and looking at the explanation. If you've
> really omitted norms, I think you should see clauses like:
>
> 1.0 = fieldNorm(field=features, doc=1)
> in the output, never something like

Thanks, this was very helpful. Indeed with debugQuery on, I get "1.0 =
fieldNorm" on my index with omitNorms for the relevant field, and in my
index without omitNorms for the relevant field, I get a non-unit value
"= fieldNorm", thanks for giving me a way to reassure myself that
omitNorms really is doing it's thing.

Now to dive into my debugQuery and figure out why it doesn't seem to be
having as much effect as I anticipated on relevance!