Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by fchan <fc...@molsci.org> on 2008/02/22 21:09:00 UTC

--max-children setting, consider raising it

Hello,
I thought I set this in /etc/rc.d/init.d/spamd for RedHat Linux but
maybe I'm wrong. I see this about --max-children for spamd:

-m number , --max-children=number
     This option specifies the maximum number of children to spawn.
Spamd will spawn that number of children, then sleep in the
background until a child dies, wherein it will go and spawn a new
child.
     Incoming connections can still occur if all of the children are
busy, however those connections will be queued waiting for a free
child. The minimum value is 1, the default value is 5.
     Please note that there is a OS specific maximum of connections
that can be queued (Try perl -MSocket -e'print SOMAXCONN' to find
this maximum).
     Note that if you run too many servers for the amount of free RAM
available, you run the danger of hurting performance by causing a
high swap load as server processes are swapped in and out continually.

I did a perl -MSocket -e'print SOMAXCONN' on my system and I get 128.

Here is my option section of my spamd:

# Set default spamd configuration.
SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -m 20 -H"
SPAMD_PID=/var/run/spamd.pid

I'm still getting these error messages in my log:

server reached --max-children setting, consider raising it

Am I supposed to set it here or some other place? I see that
spamd.conf and it is supposed to be in /etc but I don't have
spamd.conf there so should I make one?

Thank you,
Frank

Re: --max-children setting, consider raising it

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@freenet.de>.
Am 2008-02-25 23:28:39, schrieb fchan:
> Hi,
> I don't mind taking RAM since I have 3GB. I can raise the amount of
> child processes and I wanted to find out how much RAM does each child
> takes so I can decide how many max children to raise it without
> killing my system. Also I would like to check where to raise the
> max-child  and I was doing in my /etc/rc.d/init.d/spamd on my RedHat
> linux system.
> spamd -d -m 20 -H
>
> I'm having 20 max child processes now and curious why I'm still
> seeing these messages.

My courier server has been setup to 100 and SA is set
to 25 which works well and I see the messages too.

Don't worry about it.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Re: --max-children setting, consider raising it

Posted by fchan <fc...@molsci.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 12:09 -0800, fchan wrote:
> Hello,
> I thought I set this in /etc/rc.d/init.d/spamd for RedHat Linux but
> maybe I'm wrong. I see this about --max-children for spamd:
[...]
> Here is my option section of my spamd:
>
> # Set default spamd configuration.
> SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -m 20 -H"
> SPAMD_PID=/var/run/spamd.pid

Did you restart the service after you changed the option?

> I'm still getting these error messages in my log:
> server reached --max-children setting, consider raising it

Well, how many children *are* actually running?

> Am I supposed to set it here or some other place?

That place should be fine.

> I see that spamd.conf and it is supposed to be in /etc but I don't
> have spamd.conf there so should I make one?

What spamd.conf do sou see?  Anyway, no -- unless this is RH specific,
there is no such thing as spamd.conf and you're not supposed to create
it.

  guenther