Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Bob Cohen <bo...@mojotools.com> on 2008/08/31 21:19:09 UTC

CPAN Install Fails

CPAN install fails consistently.  E.g.,

Failed Test    Stat Wstat Total Fail  List of Failed
t/spamc_optC.t                9    4  2 4 6 8
t/spamc_optL.t               16   16  1-16
34 tests skipped.
Failed 2/143 test scripts. 20/2021 subtests failed.
Files=143, Tests=2021, 981 wallclock secs (558.97 cusr + 19.51 csys =
578.48 CPU)
Failed 2/143 test programs. 20/2021 subtests failed.
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255
   JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5.tar.gz
   /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
//hint// to see the cpan-testers results for installing this module,
try:
   reports JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5.tar.gz
Running make install
   make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
Failed during this command:
  JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5.tar.gz        : make_test NO

I'm running Fedora v9.  All of the prerequisite and optional modules
installed with no problem.  Suggestions?

Re: CPAN Install Fails

Posted by Lars Ebeling <la...@leopg9.no-ip.org>.
Have you got any answers on this? I have the same problem. Other numbers of
errors. So I am stuck with 3.1.0

--
Regards
Lars Ebeling

http://leopg9.no-ip.org
Hobbithobbyist

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and
remove all doubt."
-- Mark Twain

Re: CPAN Install Fails

Posted by Chris Henry <ch...@u.washington.edu>.
Bob -

You can give read permissions (if needed) on the SpamAssassin CPAN build
folder (usually /root/.cpan/build/<packagename>-<random-key> - on my
system it was: /root/.cpan/build/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5-Bpy3vr) to some
non-root user on your system - ie: bob

as bob run make test in the /root/.cpan/build/<packagename>-<random-key>
folder.

If that succeeds then you can switch back to root and finish installing
via make install.

-Chris H

Re: CPAN Install Fails

Posted by Bob Cohen <bo...@mojotools.com>.

Re: CPAN Install Fails

Posted by Chris Henry <ch...@u.washington.edu>.
I've found that the 'make test' part of spamassassin fails when run as
root on some machines.  Since you need to run CPAN as root to install
spamassassin I've found that it fails for me on most systems.

A workaround I've done in the past is exiting cpan - finding the cpan
source (usually /root/.cpan/build/<packagename>-<random key>) and
running make test as non-root.  This usually succeeds and I can also run
make install from that directory to install it.

Hope this helps

-Chris H

RE: CPAN Install Fails

Posted by Michael Hutchinson <mh...@manux.co.nz>.

Or, install it from source. I've had problems myself installing
Spamassassin via CPAN, so many problems at a time, in fact, that I
simply gave up and went with package management - which worked first
time and every time after. Installation from source has been a bit more
hairy, but nowhere near as hairy as a CPAN install.

>From what I have read on the net, it would appear that CPAN installs are
best left alone unless you really know what you're doing and are willing
to fix things before you get the product installed - but that's just _my
opinion_. I don't want to tick anyone off on the list who really likes
CPAN - I have nothing against it - I just don't use it :).

2cents.

Cheers,
Mike

Re: CPAN Install Fails

Posted by James Wilkinson <sa...@aprilcottage.co.uk>.
Bob Cohen wrote:
> I'm running Fedora v9.  All of the prerequisite and optional modules
> installed with no problem.  Suggestions?

Well, there’s always “install it with yum”:
yum install spamassassin

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | “It has taken 24 years to get the Reichstag wrapped.
aprilcottage.co.uk | Chancellor Kohl said it would only be wrapped over his