Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org> on 2008/12/29 01:13:35 UTC

throws Exception ??????

I must admit I am surprised to see that many key methods of Velocity
such as Velocity.init() and Velocity.mergeTemplate() have a signature
includes that includes "throws Exception" which is what I would be
tempted to consider a beginner's mistake.  Certainly Joshua Bloch in
"Effective Java" indicates his distaste for the practice and it's
something I always try to avoid in my code.

Can someone explain why Velocity does it this way and an effective
strategy for wrapping this ugliness away someplace?

Re: throws Exception ??????

Posted by Byron Foster <by...@base2.cc>.
Funny, I was just looking at this because I was also bothered by the
fact that many methods throw Exception.  I made the changes to remove
Exception but found that the ResourceLoader also throws Exception, and
removing it would break this plugin for existing users (Even though I
doubt it is really used that much).  I plan to make the changes, but
It will have to be a 1.7, or 2.0 change.

It looks like there has already been some work that moves Velocity in
the direction of unchecked Exceptions, and removing throwing Exception
would complete it.

Re: throws Exception ??????

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.
OK, thanks.  Don't get me wrong, I think Velocity is cool technology and
I knew you guys must have a good reason for doing something like that.

Submit a patch?  Maybe some day.  I've been a committer before myself
for a couple of Apache projects.  But I'm too much of a newbie now.  I
want to first get it to work in my app.  I'm close but not there yet.  :-)

Re: throws Exception ??????

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
Suspected initial cause: