Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Wouter Cloetens <wo...@mind.be> on 2001/04/02 23:41:38 UTC

Important new Internet innovation to obsolete SOAP

Alas, it appears that there will be no future for SOAP. A new
protocol specification was released yesterday, RFC3093,
the "Firewall Enhancing Protocol", detailing how to encapsulate
IP in HTTP requests. (http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3093.txt).

This addresses the exact same niche as SOAP, as is clear from
the acknowledgements section, which could've been a direct quote
from the original design goals of SOAP over HTTP:

"We wish to thank the many Firewall vendors who have supported our
work to re-enable the innovation that made the Internet great,
without giving up the cellophane fig leaf of security that a Firewall
provides."

However, as it works at the IP layer, rather than a complex, newly
defined, inefficient, XML-encoded message layer, it is clearly
superior to SOAP due to its great transparency.

bfn, Wouter
;-) Damn, wish I'd posted this yesterday.