Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/23 11:26:23 UTC

Confluence for PDFBox

Hi,

Would anyone object if I requested a Confluence space (see [1]) for
managing the PDFBox web site? A wiki is IMHO much more convenient for
managing the web site than a Forrest tree in svn.

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Confluence for PDFBox

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
In FOP, we ship the source files for the site in the source distribution
and the binary distribution contains the static website. The latter is
important IMO since the live website changes all the time. Having the
state of the website at the time of the release in the distribution
makes sure you always have easy access to the up-to-date information at
that time.

The downside I think we have in FOP is that the project site and
release/product docs are mingled. But we haven't cared enough, yet, to
disentangle the two. See http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/

On 23.06.2008 14:31:43 Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> > Ok, I'll see what I can do. I guess Hudson (which sounds useful BTW)
> > could help us here. If I don't manage to update the Forrest website to a
> > useful setup which everybody is happy with, we can still switch to
> > something else. Just give me a few days.
>
> OK. I can help with the Hudson setup.
>
> BTW, should we put the site sources under something like
> .../incubator/pdfbox/site so it's outside the normal project sources,
> or do people prefer if the site content gets shipped along with
> releases?
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Confluence for PDFBox

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Confluence for PDFBox

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

On 23.06.2008 12:49:25 Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> > I like Forrest a lot and since PDFBox's website is already a Forrest
> > website it would make sense to continue that. But I wouldn't block a
> > switch to Confluence although I'd rather see an open source tool be used
> > to maintain the website (Forrest or not).
>
> I'm fine with that as well, as long as modifying the web site remains
> as simple as possible.
>
> Most notably, I shouldn't need to do anything else than a svn commit
> of the modified site sources to update the published web site. In
> other words, I'd like a CI setup that automatically builds and deploys
> the site periodically or whenever needed.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Confluence for PDFBox

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Confluence for PDFBox

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Thanks for working on the imports, Jukka. I've been too distracted
lately.

I like Forrest a lot and since PDFBox's website is already a Forrest
website it would make sense to continue that. But I wouldn't block a
switch to Confluence although I'd rather see an open source tool be used
to maintain the website (Forrest or not). I can take care of setting up
an easy publishing process for the Forrest website if desired. I should
have a little time in the next few days while travelling.

On 23.06.2008 11:26:23 Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Would anyone object if I requested a Confluence space (see [1]) for
> managing the PDFBox web site? A wiki is IMHO much more convenient for
> managing the web site than a Forrest tree in svn.
>
> [1] http://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Jeremias Maerki