Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Nishant Gaurav <ng...@linkedin.com> on 2019/02/12 20:20:35 UTC

Question about connection termination and hostdb

Hi,

I had a question regarding timeout of a connection in traffic server. Let's say that the DNS name mentioned in `remap.config` to reach a downstream origin server has 5 hosts behind it (namely H1, H2, H3, H4, H5). Let's assume that the following sequence of events happen
- at timestamp T, a trafficserver host establishes a connection with H5 (with a timeout of 300 seconds).
- at time T + 5 seconds, DNS updates it record and says that H5 is no longer in rotation (there are only 4 hosts behind that DNS now H1 - H4).
- hostdb updates its record at time T + 30 seconds.

My question is, will the connection obey the updated hostdb record and terminate connection with H5 at T + 30 seconds or the connection will continue until its timeout which will be T + 300 seconds. I am trying to debug an issue where the see the requests coming in to the host taken out of rotation up until timeout.

Following are some relevant configs that I am using

CONFIG proxy.config.http.keep_alive_enabled_out INT 0
CONFIG proxy.config.http.accept_no_activity_timeout INT 120
CONFIG proxy.config.net.default_inactivity_timeout INT 300

Regards,
Nishant