Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Sam Lee <sa...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2022/03/24 12:25:49 UTC

Custom hostname when using quorum TLS

I have followed the steps in the documentation to set up "Quorum TLS"
for encrypted communication between ZooKeeper nodes.
( https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.6.3/zookeeperAdmin.html#Quorum+TLS )

Now, I am looking to change the hostname that a ZooKeeper node
presents to other ZooKeeper nodes. For example, my server's
/etc/hostname is 'my-server' but I want the ZooKeeper instance running
on that server to use another hostname instead (e.g. 'zoo1'). Is this
possible?

Re: Custom hostname when using quorum TLS

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Sam,

What do you mean by ‘present’?

AFAIK - I’m not 100% sure about this off the top of my head - ZK does not present its name to other quorum members, only the certificate. Something like:

1. ZK reads quorum members from zoo.cfg at startup,
2. It connects to all other nodes via TCP and present the certificate: here I am and that’s my ID.
3. Other quorum member will reverse lookup the DNS name from the IP and compares it with the hostname in the cert.

I need to dig this to be sure.

Andor