Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by "Kevin M. Myer" <km...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/02 17:42:50 UTC

Data import into Ofbiz

Hello,

I am continuing to look at Ofbiz as an option for ERP software for our
company.  I have two cases where I will need to import data into Ofbiz
and I am curious what the best practice recommendation for how to do
this would be.

The first would be during initial setup, when I would be loading our
product catalog.  Would the best method of doing this be to create an
XML Entity Engine file that I import through the WebTools interface?
This process would be performed by me, so ease of import is not a
large issue.

The second would be to import orders from a legacy database
application.  This would be ongoing, until the point in time that the
legacy system is completely replaced by the new ERP solution.  The
legacy system generates an Excel spreadsheet with an order number and
various other data.  This process would be performed by end-users, so
it would either need to be automated, or a very simple step for them
to import a file containing the data.

Thanks for any advice or feedback.

Kevin

Re: Data import into Ofbiz

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Data import into Ofbiz

Posted by "Vince M. Clark" <vc...@globalera.com>.
Kevin

For the first case, initial setup, the answer is yes. The easiest approach is to import initial data by constructing the xml and then loading it through the web interface in webtools. Of course if you are dealing with a high volume of data it might be necessary to handle this another way.

For the ongoing data import I will make two possible suggestions:
1) Manual process - take the data from the spreadsheet that is generated by the legacy system and drop it into a pre-formatted spreadsheet that generates xml. I usually do this on another tab. So you would take the raw data and drop it into the first tab on the spreadsheet, then have one or more other tabs to generate xml for the various entities that you need to import data.
2) Automated Import Process - This is less error prone than the manual option so the effort may be worthwhile if you will be continuing this for a while. Also allows for more timely importing since you can schedule the process to run as frequently as you want. So the high level scenario would be that you write an OfBiz service that polls a directory where the legacy system dumps the data, then formats that data for import and loads it. You can set the service up as a recurring job and run it as frequently as you like.