Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2003/01/14 16:08:20 UTC

Re: [Jam3s][RT] Turbine for User Repository?

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>                           - crosspost, please keep CCed --
>
> Some thoughts...
>
> Many Apache Java projects have their own user repository and
> authentication-authorization system, and this sucks.
> Turbine has its own services about this.
> Turbine is being Avalonized.
>
> James has it's on system.
> James uses Avalon.
> James could use Turbine services for this.
>
> Cocoon has it's own system.
> Cocoon uses Avalon.
> Cocoon could use Turbine services for this.
>
> XXX has it's own system.
> XXX uses Avalon.
> XXX could use Turbine services for this.
>
> Thoughts?

The day I see this happening I'll be a very happy man.

The concept of converging to one server framework was *exactly* made in
order to allow components to be used across different server applications.

Turbine, James and Cocoon are different beasts, do different things
since they have different goals, but this doesn't mean that pieces can't
be factored out and reused across projects.

I think I can speak for the Cocoon community when I say that if a
Turbine component that does user authentication and authorization gets
avalonized (thus more easily integrated with cocoon), it will something
that will interest us very much.

Personally, I'm willing to help pushing this forward.

Hope this helps.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: [Jam3s][RT] Turbine for User Repository?

Posted by Aaron Knauf <ak...@xtra.co.nz>.
Noel has taken the words right out of my mouth.

If JAMES (and this should apply to pretty much any project) is going to
"standardize" on a particular user repository (or any subsystem) then
the operative word in my mind is "standard".

In the case of user repositories, the operative standards are LDAP
(meaning JNDI in the case of java) and JAAS.  I would also want to see
the further step of using a standard LDAP schema.  I am no expert in
this area, but I believe rfc2256 and rfc3377 address this topic.

Naturally, a facade can (and, IMHO, should) be build on top of the
underlying JAAS/JNDI code to simplify it for authors of client code.

Any effort toward achieving this should, I believe, have a goal of
providing a realistically interoperable single sign-on capability.

ADK