Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jang won koh <jw...@ilstu.edu> on 2000/12/19 08:13:02 UTC

Re: Getting Tomcat to run / Installation Error Fixes and Testing

These are all the errors I encountered and fixed overnight during Tomcat
installation. ):-(

1. Error Message, "Out of environment space:" --> right click on startup.bat
and click on property and click memory tab and choose initial environment
drop-down box and choose 2048 or bigger. It doesn't have to be 2048+ but a
bigger number has the better chance of working. You can choose property by
clicking the top left corner of the console window.

For reference, I saw in a website a guy says - To solve the 'Out of
Environment Space' error you must edit CONFIG.SYS (again, the old MS-DOS not
so defunct operating system presence). You must add the following line:
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:8192 /P
please replace C:\COMMAND.COM to the correct location if you moved
COMMAND.COM to another location. The "/E:8192" allocates 8k to be used by
environment variables. The maximum allowed is 32k (35736). The last
parameter, "/P", is used to make this COMMAND.COM instance resident in
memory and owner of main environment space (from which every process
receives a copy).

2. Error Message, "only DOS 8.3 names may be used in TOMCAT_HOME!"--> You
are using Windows Explorer folder name find dos name of the folder(=
directory) using DIR command in DOS console. If you have long dir name in
windows explorer such as "jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1", it will show up as jakart~1
in DOS. Use this 8 character long name.

2a. Use simple folder(=directory) names for JDK(=J2SDK 1.3) and TOMCAT. I
used default names "j2sdk1.3" and "jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1" They caused
conflicts in *.bat files when starting tomcat. Especially DON'T USE "." in
those folder names. USE 8 characters-long name, or find matching DOS DIR
name for the windows explorer long folder names. So I uninstalled and
reinstalled JDK in the folder,"j2sdk" and tomcat in the folder, "tomcat".

3. Common and Hard-to-find ERROR: Type in SET JAVA_HOME=C:\JDK in the first
line after REM lines (REM lines are comment lines so they are ignored in
execution)in startup.bat file. ***** VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO HAVE SPACES
before and after "=" *****

4. Include tomcat\lib\servlet.jar and tomcat\lib\jasper.jar(or
jspengine.jar or somthing similar) in classpath. For example, add a line in
c:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
classpath=e:\java\tomcat\lib\jasper.jar;e:\java\tomcat\lib\servlet.jar;%classpath%

5. Testing. run startup.bat. It should show 2 DOS console windows. 2nd DOS
console window should show date and contextmanager blah blah in several
lines. This means tomcat is running.
6. Testing Servlet. Write and compile a servlet. Move the compile servlet
class file(let's say HelloWorld.class) to
tomcat\webapps\root\web-inf\classes. In browser, go to
URL:http//localhost:8080/servlet/HelloWorld . You can replace localhost
with 127.0.0.1 or another IP and port number if you know. To test servlets
in tomcat\webapps\test\web-inf\classes or
tomcat\webapps\examples\web-inf\classes
http://localhost:8080/test/servlet/HelloWorld or replace test with examples.
7. Testing JSP. Move a jsp file(let's say test.jsp) to
tomcat/webapps/root/jsp. I created that folder. Go to
URL:http://localhost:8080/jsp/test.jsp.

Better Tomcat manual

Posted by Andreas Sheriff <ma...@asheriff.com>.
Can someone *please* put together a better Tomcat manual than is already
there?  Especially where it talks about the <host> configuration element in
the server.xml file.  Wait a minute, there are only two references in the
entire site to <host>, and neither of them are of any help.  :(

Re: Getting Tomcat to run / Installation Error Fixes and Testing

Posted by Jon Pratt <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Hey thanks!
To test per your item 7 below, I put a copy of colrs.jsp from webapps/jsp to
webapps/root/jsp (I created as you did).  Got the following:
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for
JSPC:\GameD\tomcat\work\localhost_8080\_0002fjsp_0002fcolrs_0002ejspcolrs_js
p_0.java:63: Class colors.ColorGameBean not found.
                colors.ColorGameBean cb = null;
                      ^
C:\GameD\tomcat\work\localhost_8080\_0002fjsp_0002fcolrs_0002ejspcolrs_jsp_0
.java:66: Class colors.ColorGameBean not found.
                    cb= (colors.ColorGameBean)
                               ^
C:\GameD\tomcat\work\localhost_8080\_0002fjsp_0002fcolrs_0002ejspcolrs_jsp_0
.java:71: Class colors.ColorGameBean not found.
                            cb = (colors.ColorGameBean)
Beans.instantiate(this.getClass().getClassLoader(), "colors.ColorGameBean");
                                        ^
3 errors

 at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:254)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.doLoadJSP(JspServlet.java:462)
 at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader12.loadJSP(JasperLoader12.java:146)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:433)
 at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspSe
rvlet.java:152)
 at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:164)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:318)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:391)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:404)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
 at
7)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743)
 at
onnectionHandler.java:210)
 at
 at
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

I don't know enough about what I'm doing here but I sure appreciate your
guidance.  Thanks in advance.