Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by Todd Little <li...@bea.com> on 2007/03/23 22:38:31 UTC

[SCA C++] Building from source on Windows

Has anyone successfully:

1)     Fetched the current SCA C++ sources from SVN on Windows?  I'm
currently running into a problem with filenames from a sandbox where the
filenames only differ by case, which confuses SVN.

2)     Built the M2 sources on Windows?  I get errors such as:

   Creating library .\Release\tuscany_sca_cpp.lib and object
.\Release\tuscany_s

ca_cpp.exp

        ..\..\..\runtime\extensions\cpp\deploy.bat ..\..\..\ Release

Release

Could Not Find
D:\tuscany_sca_cpp-1.0-incubator-M2-src\deploy\extensions\cpp\bin

\tuscany_sca_cpp.*

Could Not Find
D:\tuscany_sca_cpp-1.0-incubator-M2-src\deploy\extensions\cpp\lib

\*.lib

            which is perhaps OK, although I don't get tools like scagen
built.

3)     Are there design notes or docs for the current implementation?

Regards,

Todd

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

Re: [SCA C++] Building from source on Windows

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.
On 3/24/07, Todd Little <li...@bea.com> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> Thanks for the information.  In regards to checking out the sources,
> this is the error I get from subversion:
>
> svn: In directory 'tuscany\sandbox\kgoodson\svnTest'
> svn: Can't copy
> 'tuscany\sandbox\kgoodson\svnTest\.svn\tmp\text-base\Ghi.txt.svn-base'
> to 'tuscany\sandbox\kgoodson\svnTest\.svn\tmp\Ghi.txt.tmp.tmp': The
> system cannot find the file specified.
>
> And after a pause, subversion exits.
>
> Regards,
> Todd

Hi Todd,

I have no idea what's going on there! You could try an "svn cleanup"
on your system, but it may not help. Luckily, for the C++ code, you
don't need to checkout the entire Tuscany tree - just the directories
under [1], so you can avoid Kelvin's sandbox!

Cheers
Andy

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/cpp

RE: [SCA C++] Building from source on Windows

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Todd

On 3/23/07, Todd Little <li...@bea.com> wrote:
> Has anyone successfully:
>

> 1)     Fetched the current SCA C++ sources from SVN on Windows?  I'm
> currently running into a problem with filenames from a sandbox where the
> filenames only differ by case, which confuses SVN.

The SCA C++ sources are in [1]
I can happily retrieve these on my Windows & Linux boxes. What sandbox
files are you picking up/having trouble with?

> 2)     Built the M2 sources on Windows?  I get errors such as:
>

>    Creating library .\Release\tuscany_sca_cpp.lib and object
> .\Release\tuscany_s
>
> ca_cpp.exp
>
>         ..\..\..\runtime\extensions\cpp\deploy.bat ..\..\..\ Release
>
> Release
>
> Could Not Find
> D:\tuscany_sca_cpp-1.0-incubator-M2-src\deploy\extensions\cpp\bin
>
> \tuscany_sca_cpp.*
>
> Could Not Find
> D:\tuscany_sca_cpp-1.0-incubator-M2-src\deploy\extensions\cpp\lib
>
> \*.lib
>

>             which is perhaps OK, although I don't get tools like scagen
> built.

The "could not find" messages should be OK - they're just the build
system trying to clean up the target directory before deploying the
newly built libraries.There is an issue with the Windows M2 src distro
- the scagen tool is built, but doesn't get copied into the deploy/bin
directory.
See the message & Pete's follow-up at [2]

> 3)     Are there design notes or docs for the current implementation?

Unfortunately, there's not a great deal of design docs at the mo. The
C++ user doc is generally good and will give you an overview of how to
use Tuscany C++ but we haven't really recorded the runtime design
anywhere. To give a very brief overview:

Tuscany SCA Native consists of the kernel (code at [3]) and extensions
(code at [4]). The kernel loads any .composite, .xsd, .wsdl or
.componentType files found under a directory defined by the
TUSCANY_SCACPP_ROOT environment variable. The kernel also loads any
extensions found in the Tuscany extensions directory (found in the
directory specified by the TUSCANY_SCACPP env variable). The kernel
inspects the .composite files and checks that any required extensions
that the SCA app uses are loaded, works out how the components are
wired together, and then passes the details of the composite to the
appropriate extensions. E.g. if the SCDL contains a
<implementation.python> element, the contents of that element are
passed to the Python extension which will load a defined script, etc.
When the SCA app is invoked (via a local client call or a SOAP or REST
service binding being called) the kernel uses the appropriate
extension to invoke the right methods in the component implementation
code.
The language binding extensions (C++, Ruby, Python, PHP) provide
wrapper and proxy code. The wrapper code wraps the component
implemented in that language, initialising the component
implementation, converting method arguments to the correct types and
invoking the defined method with the converted arguments. The proxy
code allows the component to call it's references, providing objects
that look like standard objects in the component language, but which,
when called, convert the method arguments from the language types and
invoke the referenced component's wrapper code to invoke the component
itself.
The service and reference binding extensions (SOAP/Axis2C, REST)
provide service and reference code. The service code allows Tuscany to
run within a container as a service that can be invoked (e.g. as an
Axis2C SOAP web service). The reference code allows Tuscany to call
other services (that may or may not be other Tuscany services) using
that technology to make the call out (e.g. a SOAP call to a Web
Service).
See the various samples we have for examples of all this.

Hope this helps a little!
BTW - if you're keen to try out the latest C++ code, there are some M3
release candidates (not official releases) currently available for
testing at [5]. See Pete's vote thread for more info [6]

Cheers
Andy

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/cpp/sca
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg10540.html