Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/08 14:32:03 UTC

Releasing Plugins for 3th Party Software from Apache Openmeetings

Hi,

we are currently under Incubation in the Apache Foundation
http://incubator.apache.org/openmeetings/.

There are a number of Plugins for OpenMeetings:
- Moodle (Moodle is LGPL)
- SugarCRM (http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/SPL)
- Atlassian Jira (commercial, I can't find )
- Atlassian Confluence (commercial)
It seems like there are already Apache Licensed Plugins for Jira, for
example:
https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/com.adaptavist.plm.plugin.plm-plugin;jsessionid=pvar5bc6haqeix28wbgtkhgw

That we either already maintain (or are going to publish)

We would like to release those Plugins as Apache Licensed Plugins.

Is that something that is okay? Do you need any further information to give
an answer on that question?

Thanks!
Sebastian
--
Sebastian Wagner
http://www.openmeetings.de

Re: Releasing Plugins for 3th Party Software from Apache Openmeetings

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Sam!

2012/3/12 Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>

> [...]
> > Yes I understand that, we are not releasing somebody else's software
> under
> > APL.
> >
> > The Moodle Plugin and SugarCRM Plugin where initally written and
> maintained
> > by me and Eugen Schwert.
> >
> > Me and Eugen both already submitted our ICLA to the Apache Foundation
> and we
> > both are PPMC of the Apache OpenMeetings Podling.
> >
> > The Moodle and SugarCRM Plugin both used a LGPL PHP library called
> "nuSoap",
> > we have replaced that library with out own implementation that does not
> > require that library anymore.
> >
> > So, from what I understood is that we need now to clean up the code
> again to
> > mark any potential code section that might be not originated by either
> me or
> > Eugen and then we could follow the release process.
> > I think the only thing that really needs to be replaced are the icons
> > distributed in the plugins.
> >
> > For the new Plugins (Jira + Confluence) there are no problem?
> >
> > Is that correct?
>
> It is not simply "mark any potential code section that might not be
> originated by either me or Eugen".  Other than that: perfect.
>
> Any code that you intentionally contribute under the terms of the ICLA
> is welcome here even if you previously made that same code available
> under another license.  What needs to happen now is that the
> Openmeetings podling ensures that no other code is swept up in that
> initial commit/push.  The relevant language in the ICLA is
> "identifying the complete details of its source".
>
> In the simplest case, if you commit only code that you have verified
> has been created by either you or Eugen and state such in the commit
> message, you are fine.  Be prepared to demonstrate to the podling
> (and/or the mentors thereof) how you came to this conclusion.  In
> simple cases (e.g., only Eugen and yourself having commit access) not
> much needs to be said.  If there are others potentially involved,
> identifying their contributions and how they were identified and
> resolved (e.g., removed, obtained an ICLA,etc) is important and
> ideally should be in the commit message itself.
>
> > Thanks!
> > Sebastian
>
> - Sam Ruby
>
> > 2012/3/12 Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>

> Confluence

> >> You don't just simply pick up work released under other (generally
> >> incompatible licenses) and release them under the Apache License - one
> >> must first establish that we have the rights to make such a release.
> >> More information on this can be found here:
> >>
> >> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
> >>
> >> tl;dr: if we get a Software Grant for each and the openmeetings
> >> podling is willing to oversee and maintain the code going forward,
> >> there will be no problem.  See also section 7 of the ICLA for other

Sebastian Wagner
http://www.openmeetings.de

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes I understand that, we are not releasing somebody else's software under
> APL.
>
> The Moodle Plugin and SugarCRM Plugin where initally written and maintained
> by me and Eugen Schwert.
>
> Me and Eugen both already submitted our ICLA to the Apache Foundation and we
> both are PPMC of the Apache OpenMeetings Podling.
>
> The Moodle and SugarCRM Plugin both used a LGPL PHP library called "nuSoap",
> we have replaced that library with out own implementation that does not
> require that library anymore.
>
> So, from what I understood is that we need now to clean up the code again to
> mark any potential code section that might be not originated by either me or
> Eugen and then we could follow the release process.
> I think the only thing that really needs to be replaced are the icons
> distributed in the plugins.
>
> For the new Plugins (Jira + Confluence) there are no problem?
>
> Is that correct?

It is not simply "mark any potential code section that might not be
originated by either me or Eugen".  Other than that: perfect.

Any code that you intentionally contribute under the terms of the ICLA
is welcome here even if you previously made that same code available
under another license.  What needs to happen now is that the
Openmeetings podling ensures that no other code is swept up in that
initial commit/push.  The relevant language in the ICLA is
"identifying the complete details of its source".

In the simplest case, if you commit only code that you have verified
has been created by either you or Eugen and state such in the commit
message, you are fine.  Be prepared to demonstrate to the podling
(and/or the mentors thereof) how you came to this conclusion.  In
simple cases (e.g., only Eugen and yourself having commit access) not
much needs to be said.  If there are others potentially involved,
identifying their contributions and how they were identified and
resolved (e.g., removed, obtained an ICLA,etc) is important and
ideally should be in the commit message itself.

> Thanks!
> Sebastian

- Sam Ruby

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Yes I understand that, we are not releasing somebody else's software under
APL.

The Moodle Plugin and SugarCRM Plugin where initally written and maintained
by me and Eugen Schwert.

Me and Eugen both already submitted our ICLA to the Apache Foundation and
we both are PPMC of the Apache OpenMeetings Podling.

The Moodle and SugarCRM Plugin both used a LGPL PHP library called
"nuSoap", we have replaced that library with out own implementation that
does not require that library anymore.

So, from what I understood is that we need now to clean up the code again
to mark any potential code section that might be not originated by either
me or Eugen and then we could follow the release process.
I think the only thing that really needs to be replaced are the icons
distributed in the plugins.

For the new Plugins (Jira + Confluence) there are no problem?

Is that correct?

Thanks!
Sebastian

2012/3/12 Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:10 AM, seba.wagner@gmail.com
> <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Rob,
> >
> > thanks for your answer let me describe the situation for the plugins:
> >
> > Moodle-Plugin:
> > Was released both under EPL and LGPL in the past, LGPL was the last
> release,
> > released Oct,2011 (version 1.3) at our old project website:
> > http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/downloads/list
> >
> > SugarCRM:
> > Was released under GNU AFFERO GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE so far. Released
> > version 1.2 Nov,2011 at our old project website:
> > http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/downloads/list
> >
> > Atlassian Jira Plugin + Atlassian Confluence Plugin
> > Was newly developed, there is no initial source for that plugin except
> the
> > ones in the Apache SVN. There are no releases of the Jira or Confluence
> > Plugin for Apache OpenMeetings yet.
> >
> > Let me know if you need any further details on that.
>
> You don't just simply pick up work released under other (generally
> incompatible licenses) and release them under the Apache License - one
> must first establish that we have the rights to make such a release.
> More information on this can be found here:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
>
> tl;dr: if we get a Software Grant for each and the openmeetings
> podling is willing to oversee and maintain the code going forward,
> there will be no problem.  See also section 7 of the ICLA for other
> options.
>
> > Thanks!
> > Sebastian
>
> - Sam Ruby

Sebastian Wagner
http://www.openmeetings.de

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> thanks for your answer let me describe the situation for the plugins:
>
> Moodle-Plugin:
> Was released both under EPL and LGPL in the past, LGPL was the last release,
> released Oct,2011 (version 1.3) at our old project website:
> http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/downloads/list
>
> SugarCRM:
> Was released under GNU AFFERO GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE so far. Released
> version 1.2 Nov,2011 at our old project website:
> http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/downloads/list
>
> Atlassian Jira Plugin + Atlassian Confluence Plugin
> Was newly developed, there is no initial source for that plugin except the
> ones in the Apache SVN. There are no releases of the Jira or Confluence
> Plugin for Apache OpenMeetings yet.
>
> Let me know if you need any further details on that.

You don't just simply pick up work released under other (generally
incompatible licenses) and release them under the Apache License - one
must first establish that we have the rights to make such a release.
More information on this can be found here:

http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

tl;dr: if we get a Software Grant for each and the openmeetings
podling is willing to oversee and maintain the code going forward,
there will be no problem.  See also section 7 of the ICLA for other
options.

> Thanks!
> Sebastian

- Sam Ruby

Re: Releasing Plugins for 3th Party Software from Apache Openmeetings

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob,

2012/3/9 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 8:32 AM, seba.wagner@gmail.com
> <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > we are currently under Incubation in the Apache Foundation
> > http://incubator.apache.org/openmeetings/.
> >
> > There are a number of Plugins for OpenMeetings:
> > - Moodle (Moodle is LGPL)
> > - SugarCRM (http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/SPL)
> > - Atlassian Jira (commercial, I can't find )
> > - Atlassian Confluence (commercial)
> > It seems like there are already Apache Licensed Plugins for Jira, for
> > example:
> >
> https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/com.adaptavist.plm.plugin.plm-plugin;jsessionid=pvar5bc6haqeix28wbgtkhgw
> >
> > That we either already maintain (or are going to publish)
> >
> > We would like to release those Plugins as Apache Licensed Plugins.
> >
> > Is that something that is okay? Do you need any further information to
> give
> > an answer on that question?
> >

> Are you asking about a mix of plugins of various licenses and origins?
>  Or just the specific case you mentioned last, e.g.. " we either
> already maintain (or are going to publish)" and "already Apache
> Licensed Plugins"?
>
> It might help to bring up a specific representative example, and drill
> into that.
>
> -Rob
>
> -Rob
>
> > Thanks!