Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by "James E. King, III" <jk...@apache.org> on 2017/11/18 17:16:16 UTC

History of testOneway sleep?

Does anybody know why the cross tests have a built-in sleep in the one-way
test?  This slows down every test, seemingly unnecessarily.  When I removed
it from the cpp tests, the cpp server tests all zoom along nicely.  It's
present in c_glib server, for example, and also in go, and probably
others.  If we don't need all the tests to be sleeping 1 second, we should
remove all the sleeping to speed up the tests.  We do 2,000+ cross tests,
so that's a lot of sleep.

Re: History of testOneway sleep?

Posted by Aki Sukegawa <ns...@gmail.com>.
The point of the test is that the client returns immediately while the
server is blocking. Removing server sleeps would let incorrect oneway
client implementations pass the test.

The server process is killed at the end so ideally we could avoid waiting
for the sleep. But in reality I think for many test servers we end up
waiting for the sleep before the subsequent RPC processing because they are
single-threaded.

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@apache.org>.
Sounds like an oversight to me.