Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ivan Montoro <iv...@yahoo.es> on 2003/11/21 22:06:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Includes + MultiViews (using SSI and Content Negotiation)

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong but could not
discover what. I would like to configure a virtual
host so I can have: index.shtml.en, index.shtml.es,
common/menu.inc.en, common/menu.inc.es.

This is my httpd.conf snip
----
    AddType text/html .shtml
    AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml
    AddHandler type-map .var
    Options MultiViews +Includes
    DirectoryIndex index.shtml.var
----

I'm realy lost with Apache docs as english is not my
natural language, could someone tell me please what's
wrong with it?

Thanks

Ivan

Re: [users@httpd] Includes + MultiViews (using SSI and Content Negotiation)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Ivan Montoro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong but could not
> discover what. I would like to configure a virtual
> host so I can have: index.shtml.en, index.shtml.es,
> common/menu.inc.en, common/menu.inc.es.
>
> This is my httpd.conf snip
> ----
>     AddType text/html .shtml
>     AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml
>     AddHandler type-map .var
>     Options MultiViews +Includes
>     DirectoryIndex index.shtml.var
> ----
>
> I'm realy lost with Apache docs as english is not my
> natural language, could someone tell me please what's
> wrong with it?

You should start here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/content-negotiation.html#negotiation

Notice that there are two ways to do content negotiation: multiviews, or a
type map.  From your first paragraph, it seems like you want to do
multiviews, but your configuration is for type maps.  To fix that, you can
remove the AddHandler line, and change the DirectoryIndex line to simply
DirectoryIndex index.shtml

Also, in the future, you should state exactly what happens when you try to
access your sites, and include all relevant log entries.

Joshua.