Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Rajit Singh <si...@studychoice.com> on 2000/10/18 15:05:10 UTC

RE: DBI / Postgres Intermittent Problem

Hi,

Thanks for those who responded to my request.

was no difference whether or not I was using it.

I set up a new Apache/mod_perl installation to see if the problem stayed.

My old set up was mod_perl 1.21 + Apache 1.3.9 + SSL + HTML::Embperl + perl 5.00503

New set up :  mod_perl 1.24 + Apache 1.3.12 + HTML::Embperl + perl 5.6

DBI on both was most recent version
After much hassle I got it all working... and - wait for it.  I didn't get the
intermittent problem I've been getting!

I hammered it - I ran ab -n 100 -c 100 and it flew through without a single Internal
Server Error.
I sat hitting reload on Netscape to try and catch it out - but it was solid.

I was running the old Apache SSL installation at the same time on the same machine -
both were running of the same .epl scripts and db.

so I added the 's' after http and tried hammering again.  But dammit... the problems
had disappeared from here too.  unfortunately I couldn't run ab as it doesn't seem to
support https.

Looking back, I had solid reason to believe this intermittent thing was occurring
with MySQL at my old place because of various signs.

But it's possible with the problem i've had with postgres, it was occurring because
it was reloading the wrong page from the cache.  I've no idea why that would happen -
but there's been no problem from either webserver since I set my cache to 0bytes
mem/disk.

So until the problem rears its head again... I'll be keeping quiet.

Rajit