Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by "Boyle, Shawn R" <sh...@lmco.com> on 2012/11/21 21:34:33 UTC

Using JCA on GlassFish 3.1.2.2

Hello all,
We are trying to use the Qpid 0.18 JCA integration on GlassFish 3.1.2.2. We can deploy the qpid-ra-0.18.rar to our GlassFish server. We have an application that has a Stateless EJB to publish a message to a Qpid queue and we have a Message-Driven bean that is able to fetch the message from the queue; however, we're seeing behavior that seems to indicate that the message is not getting Acknowledged (even though we're using AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE) and it then goes to the next consumer (up to the 15 MDBs in our pool).

In trying to troubleshoot this issue we thought we should verify that we can run the JCA Examples, but we're find some issues building and packaging the JCA Examples:
1. The build.xml "compile" target fails for GlassFish due to an incorrect jar name as part of the compile.classpath path. Specifically, javax.servlet.jar should be javax.servlet-api.jar for GlassFish 3.1.2.2.

2. The package-rar target creates a MANIFEST-only jar (rar). I would expect that it would create a .rar similar to the qpid-ra-0.18.rar that ships with the Java broker except with GlassFish-specific files/deployment descriptors.

I do think that better documentation is needed for how to deploy and use the JCA integration for each application server. Or perhaps documentation that contains some best practices for using Qpid within a Java EE environment (with or without using JCA).

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Using JCA on GlassFish 3.1.2.2

Posted by "Weston M. Price" <wp...@redhat.com>.
Hi Shawn,
	Probably correct in the documentation. Glassfish support was added later than other application servers. Please note, as app servers evolve it's difficult to keep up sometimes with the latest developments, more specifically where they put the requisite jar files. You are more than welcome to submit a patch for later versions if you see something we missed.

In terms of the package-rar requirement, I will have to take a look. You can contact me off list at wprice@redhat.com and we can look at resolving your issues.

Regards,

Weston