Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org> on 2008/06/18 18:42:00 UTC

[VOTE] Release of Apache IvyDE 2.0.0.alpha1

Hi,

I am pleased to announce that I have a version of IvyDE ready to be released.
You will find the files in my home directory on people.apache.org
/home/hibou/ivyde-release

About the released files:
two files are classic release files:
* apache-ivyde-sources-2.0.0.alpha1.zip: the source distribution.
  it includes every files which is needed to build that distribution
* org.apache.ivyde.feature-2.0.0.alpha1.zip: the binary distribution.
  it includes the files ready to be deployed into an Eclipse install

Then there are the files deployed into the IvyDE update site. First few words
on the update site. It will deployed at the URL:
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde/updatesite
Then, the files that will be effectively there, so in www.apache.org:
* the site.xml: discribe the deployed features
* the digest.zip: the compress manifest of every features (optimized eclipse
update site)
* eclipse-update--xml.cgi and eclipse-update--xml.html: the files that defines
the apache mirrors for Eclipse.
And the binary files packaged for the updatesite (the jar and jar.pack.gz)
will be in the apache dist directory. More precisely the plugins and features
directories and all of their files will be in dist/ant/ivy/ivyde/updatesite/

One note on the packaging of Ivy as an Eclipse updatable plug-in. Due to two
bugs in the packaging of Ivy (IVY-828,IVY-802), a repackaging is needed. The
repackaging I have done can be reproduced with the target install-ivy. It is
based on the official 2.0.0.beta2 release.

If you want to reproduce the build, just do:
ant /release dist -DbaseLocation=$YOUR_ECLIPSE_HOME

If you want to test the update site, just get locally the "updatesite"
directory from the release, and in Eclipse, setup a "local site" that point
to your local copy of the "updatesite" directory.

About verifying the signatures, you will find mine there:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x7BF8BE8E
But I am not sure how to update the KEYS file. I have found how to append my
public key:
(gpg --list-sigs <your name> && gpg --armor --export <your name>) >> KEYS
But then should I just re-copy it into /www/www.apache.org/dist/ant/common on
people.apache.org ? There is no commit or whatever, right ?

Last but not least, your vote:
+1 : you agree with the release
+0 : you agree but the next release should contain some fixes
-1 : you don't agree, there is a blocker issue with the release

so +1 for me (non binding)

Nicolas

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache IvyDE 2.0.0.alpha1

Posted by Martijn Kruithof <jm...@kruithof.xs4all.nl>.

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@...>
> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am pleased to announce that I have a version of IvyDE ready to be
>> released.
>> You will find the files in my home directory on people.apache.org
>> /home/hibou/ivyde-release

Here is my

+0

I have not been into ivy(ide) (yet) and currently heavily constrained on
time (new job)
 hope to pick up some ant work again, as soon as the release of ant is done.

Martijn

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache IvyDE 2.0.0.alpha1

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 27 juin 08 à 21:02, Kirby Files a écrit :

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am pleased to announce that I have a version of IvyDE ready to be
>> released.
>> You will find the files in my home directory on people.apache.org
>> /home/hibou/ivyde-release
>
> I tried out this release, and it no longer seemed to automatically
> find an
> ivysettings.xml file in my project (in the top-level directory). I
> had to
> manually configure IvyDE with my settings file. Is this a deliberate
> change?
> It was nice to be able to just check a project out of source control
> and
> immediately have everything working.

I have just retested, it works fine for me.
You should check that in the path of the ivysettings in the global
configuration is blank, and that in the local configuration of your
project you have not selected the "Enable project specific settings"

> Also, is there any plan to add a CleanCache action to the IvyDE
> context
> menu? Especially since Ivy caches "negative" information (for
> instance, if
> my repository web server is down, it caches the non-existence of each
> artifact on that server -- once the web server is back up, the only
> way to
> make it resolve is to clean the cache from the command line).

nothing planed about it, but it is a great idea that you should add in
the Jira :)

thanks for testing,

Posted by Kirby Files <kf...@masergy.com>.
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am pleased to announce that I have a version of IvyDE ready to be
> released.
> You will find the files in my home directory on people.apache.org
> /home/hibou/ivyde-release

I tried out this release, and it no longer seemed to automatically find an
ivysettings.xml file in my project (in the top-level directory). I had to
manually configure IvyDE with my settings file. Is this a deliberate change?
It was nice to be able to just check a project out of source control and
immediately have everything working.

Also, is there any plan to add a CleanCache action to the IvyDE context
menu? Especially since Ivy caches "negative" information (for instance, if
my repository web server is down, it caches the non-existence of each
artifact on that server -- once the web server is back up, the only way to
make it resolve is to clean the cache from the command line).

Thanks,
  --kirby

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache IvyDE 2.0.0.alpha1

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > -1 : you don't agree, there is a blocker issue with the release
> >
> > Good job Nicolas! I've made some tests, and I have a couple of comments:
> > 1) the sources distribution is not building, bacause the
> > META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file is missing in org.apache.ivyde.eclipse
>
> good catch, I will fix it
>
> > 2) I've tested both deploying the feature manually and with the update
> site
> > and it works well. However, there's something strange happening: I don't
> > see the Ivy entry in the project properties. Therefore I can't change the
> > ivyde settings per project.
>
> That is expected, the configuration changed with IVYDE-70. You can now
> configure by:
> * a right click on the ivy container and select "configure"
> * in the java build path configuration, select the ivy container in

I remembered the change in the settings storage, but no the UI. I can now
confirm it works as expected for me, sorry for the noise.

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache IvyDE 2.0.0.alpha1

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache IvyDE 2.0.0.alpha1

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le jeudi 19 juin 2008, Scheper, Erik-Berndt a écrit :
> This effectively means you do not want non-committers to test this proposed
> alpha release. Personally I believe this contradicts to the Apache Release
> FAQ http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html which states:
>
> During the process of developing software and preparing a release, various
> packages are made available to the developer community for testing
> purposes. (...) Test Packages are not Apache releases. All releases require
> due process and official approval. Test packages are for testing ongoing
> development and should only be discussed on the project development lists.
>
> Then again, if you do not want developer testing, I'm fine with it.

I prefer exposing them publically actually. I just wanted to follow Apache
guidelines. I think I have just misread them, I read "commiters community"
instead of "developer community".
The next vote for release will be more public.

Nicolas

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
To share it better, you can use your directory ~/public_html that is
directly accessible via http for everyone.

Gilles

Gilles Scokart

RE: [VOTE] Release of Apache IvyDE 2.0.0.alpha1

Posted by "Scheper, Erik-Berndt" <er...@sogeti.nl>.
This effectively means you do not want non-committers to test this proposed alpha release. Personally I believe this contradicts to the Apache Release FAQ http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html which states:

During the process of developing software and preparing a release, various packages are made available to the developer community for testing purposes. (...) Test Packages are not Apache releases. All releases require due process and official approval. Test packages are for testing ongoing development and should only be discussed on the project development lists.

Then again, if you do not want developer testing, I'm fine with it.

Kind regards,
Erik-Berndt

________________________________

Le jeudi 19 juin 2008, Scheper, Erik-Berndt a �crit :

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>
wrote:

> Le jeudi 19 juin 2008, Scheper, Erik-Berndt a écrit :
> > By the way, I noticed that the IVYDE roadmap,
> >
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin
> >.system.project:roadmap-panel , does not contain a version for this
> release.
> >
> > It would be nice if you could create it, and assign all resolved issues
> > the release. This would help greatly in testing the alpha release.
>
> good catch. Actually I will rename the 2.0.0 version to 2.0.0.alpha1
> And the issues not fixed I will move them to a new 2.0 version.
>
> > I have tried to download the files, but cannot find your home dir.
> > Can you please post the entire URL?
>
> these are in my UNIX home directory on people.apache.org, only committers
> have
> access to it.
>
> (a release to be accepted by the PMC should be more visible to the public ?
> as
> far as I remember the apache guidelines it should not)

So far all Ivy releases have been put on web site for the vote. I don't know
if it's a good practice or not, but the more eyes you get while voting the
release, the less problems you end up with.

Xavier

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Posted by "Scheper, Erik-Berndt" <er...@sogeti.nl>.
By the way, I noticed that the IVYDE roadmap, http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel , does not contain a version for this release.

It would be nice if you could create it, and assign all resolved issues to the release. This would help greatly in testing the alpha release.

Many thanks,
Erik-Berndt

Posted by "Scheper, Erik-Berndt" <er...@sogeti.nl>.