Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Giles Coochey <gi...@coochey.net> on 2013/03/20 14:59:05 UTC

spamass-milter rejecting messages because no score found in large emails

Hi,

I'm using spamass-milter in conjunction with spamassassin.

I've noticed that emails that are considered too large for spamassassin
to scan appear to be rejected by spamass-milter because it cannot find a
score in the email.

I've looked at the configuration options for spamass-milter and cannot
find anything specific to handle this.

I'm wondering whether it's possible for spamc / spamd to give a score of
0 to messages that were above the max-size parameter?

Thanks

Giles

Re: spamass-milter rejecting messages because no score found in large emails

Posted by Jim Popovitch <ji...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Jim Popovitch <ji...@gmail.com> wrote:

> spamass-milter also supports "--socket", so it is not limited to only spamc.

And... that is wrong. Anything passed to spamass-milter after "--"
(i.e. --socket=...) is passed on to spamc.

-Jim P.

Re: spamass-milter rejecting messages because no score found in large emails

Posted by Jim Popovitch <ji...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Sat, 23 Mar 2013, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

>> Am 22.03.2013 22:31, schrieb Benny Pedersen:
>>> are spamass-milter using spamc ?
>
> On 23.03.13 00:34, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>> at my knowledge
>> spamass-milter uses spamd, the deamon vers of spamc
>
> no, no, spamd is the daemon and spamc is an utility that talks to spam
> daemon :-)
>
> and yes, spamass-milter uses spamc. you can pass extra flags to it, e.g.
> -s<size> to send all mail up to given size to spamd (default:500KB)

It is true that spamass-milter uses the spamc utility but not all
spamassassin connecting milters do. I'm using a customized version of
miltrassassin which speaks the 'SPAMC' network protocol directly to spamd,
no use of the "spamc" client program at all.

There are some milters that don't even use spamd, they directly
instantiate the spamassassin engine within themselves.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: spamass-milter rejecting messages because no score found in large emails

Posted by Robert Schetterer <rs...@sys4.de>.
Am 23.03.2013 22:46, schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:

>> Am 22.03.2013 22:31, schrieb Benny Pedersen:
>>> are spamass-milter using spamc ?
>
> On 23.03.13 00:34, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>> at my knowledge
>> spamass-milter uses spamd, the deamon vers of spamc
>
> no, no, spamd is the daemon and spamc is an utility that talks to spam
> daemon :-)
>
> and yes, spamass-milter uses spamc. you can pass extra flags to it, e.g.
> -s<size> to send all mail up to given size to spamd (default:500KB)

yes ,i should reread stuff *g, but it really shows no problems since
years , so i forget some basics *g

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

Re: spamass-milter rejecting messages because no score found in large emails

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
>> Robert Schetterer skrev den 2013-03-20 15:44:
>>> http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/spamc.html

>Am 22.03.2013 22:31, schrieb Benny Pedersen:
>> are spamass-milter using spamc ?

On 23.03.13 00:34, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>at my knowledge
>spamass-milter uses spamd, the deamon vers of spamc

no, no, spamd is the daemon and spamc is an utility that talks to spam
daemon :-)

and yes, spamass-milter uses spamc. you can pass extra flags to it, e.g.
-s<size> to send all mail up to given size to spamd (default:500KB)
I intend to live forever - so far so good.

Re: spamass-milter rejecting messages because no score found in large emails

Posted by Robert Schetterer <rs...@sys4.de>.
Am 22.03.2013 22:31, schrieb Benny Pedersen:
> Robert Schetterer skrev den 2013-03-20 15:44:
>
>> http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/spamc.html
>
> are spamass-milter using spamc ?

at my knowledge
spamass-milter uses spamd, the deamon vers of spamc

i.e mail log

spamc[26134]: skipped message, greater than max message size (512000 bytes)

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.

Posted by Robert Schetterer <rs...@sys4.de>.
Am 20.03.2013 22:27, schrieb Kevin A. McGrail:
> On 3/20/2013 12:58 PM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>> Am 20.03.2013 15:44, schrieb Robert Schetterer:
>>> guess you have a failure in your setup, ask spamassassin list
>> uff ,my fault i saw this comming from postfix list
>>

>> Best Regards
>> MfG Robert Schetterer
>>
> Have you considered mimedefang instead of spamass-milter?  I started
> with spamass-milter and switched.  If you know Perl, I would highly
> recommend it.

no problem here with spamass-milter no need to switch

> regards,
> KAM

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.

Posted by Robert Schetterer <rs...@sys4.de>.

Posted by Robert Schetterer <rs...@sys4.de>.
Am 20.03.2013 14:59, schrieb Giles Coochey:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using spamass-milter in conjunction with spamassassin.
>
> I've noticed that emails that are considered too large for spamassassin
> to scan appear to be rejected by spamass-milter because it cannot find a
> score in the email.
>
> I've looked at the configuration options for spamass-milter and cannot
> find anything specific to handle this.
>
> I'm wondering whether it's possible for spamc / spamd to give a score of
> 0 to messages that were above the max-size parameter?
>
> Thanks
>
> Giles

spam isnt mostly big ,there is a default setting

http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/spamc.html

-s max_size, --max-size=max_size
    Set the maximum message size which will be sent to spamd -- any
bigger than this threshold and the message will be returned unprocessed
(default: 500 KB). If spamc gets handed a message bigger than this, it
won't be passed to spamd. The maximum message size is 256 MB.

    The size is specified in bytes, as a positive integer greater than
0. For example, -s 500000.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 20.03.13 13:59, Giles Coochey wrote:
>I'm using spamass-milter in conjunction with spamassassin.
>
>I've noticed that emails that are considered too large for
>spamassassin to scan appear to be rejected by spamass-milter because
>it cannot find a score in the email.

I use those two too, but I haven't had problem wich rejected mail because of
this reason. Mail that was not scanned by SA was just not filtered, thus
spam was passed. I have increased the maximum size to be the same as maximum
size of accepted mail, so all mail is scanned now...

Re: spamass-milter rejecting messages because no score found in large emails

Posted by Giles Coochey <gi...@coochey.net>.
On 20/03/2013 14:24, Axb wrote:
> On 03/20/2013 02:59 PM, Giles Coochey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using spamass-milter in conjunction with spamassassin.
>>
>> I've noticed that emails that are considered too large for spamassassin
>> to scan appear to be rejected by spamass-milter because it cannot find a
>> score in the email.
>>
>> I've looked at the configuration options for spamass-milter and cannot
>> find anything specific to handle this.
>>
>> I'm wondering whether it's possible for spamc / spamd to give a score of
>> 0 to messages that were above the max-size parameter?
>
> ever considered that this bug should be fixed in the milter and not a
> SA workround ?

Absolutely, I raised it with them in 2004:

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/spamass-milt-list/2004-08/msg00000.html

Giles Coochey, CCNP, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd
+44 (0) 7983 877438
http://www.coochey.net
http://www.netsecspec.co.uk
giles@coochey.net

Re: spamass-milter rejecting messages because no score found in large emails

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.