Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org> on 2016/10/07 20:48:11 UTC

Improving volunteer management / JIRAs (split from Spark Improvement Proposals thread)

Matei asked:

> I agree about empowering people interested here to contribute, but I'm wondering, do you think there are technical things that people don't want to work on, or is it a matter of what there's been time to do?

It's a matter of mismanagement and miscommunication.

The structured streaming kafka jira sat with multiple unanswered
requests for someone who was a committer to communicate whether they
were working on it and what the plan was.  I could have done that
implementation and had it in users' hands months ago.  I didn't
pre-emptively do it because I didn't want to then have to argue with
committers about why my code did or did not meet their uncommunicated
expectations.

I don't want to re-hash that particular circumstance, I just want to
make sure it never happens again.

Hopefully the SIP thread results in clearer expectations, but there
are still some ideas on the table regarding management of volunteer
contributions:

- Closing stale jiras.  I hear the bots are impersonal argument, but
the alternative of "someone cleans it up" is not sufficient right now
(with apologies to Sean and all the other janitors).

- Clear rejection of jiras.  This isn't mean, it's respectful.

- Clear "I'm working on this", with clear removal and reassignment if
they go radio silent.  This could be keyed to automated check for
staleness.

- Clear expectation that if someone is working on a jira, you can work
on your own alternative, but you need to communicate.

I'm sure I've missed some.

Re: Improving volunteer management / JIRAs (split from Spark Improvement Proposals thread)

Posted by vaquar khan <va...@gmail.com>.
Matei ,

I like your idea automatically email However it wont solve then problem.

Last few years i saw many enthusiastic sent mail and want to be Apache
Spark contributor ,Our response most welcome here is Jira , go and start
work on issues.
After few days /months struggle they have lost interest because not able to
understand where to start.

1) We should assign mentor to enthusiastic to understand issues and help to
start as contributor.
2) For high priority old Jira we should create separate group , who give
complete analysis in Jira so other can go and fix issue.

Reagrds,
Vaquar khan

Vaquar Khan
+1 -224-436-0783

IT Architect / Lead Consultant
Greater Chicago

Re: Improving volunteer management / JIRAs (split from Spark Improvement Proposals thread)

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.

To start a new topic under Apache Spark Developers List, email ml-node+s1001551n1h20@n3.nabble.com<ma...@n3.nabble.com>

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
Ah yes, on a given JIRA issue the number of watchers is often a better
indicator of community interest than votes.

But yeah, it could be any metric or formula we want, as long as it yielded
a "reasonable" bar to cross for unsolicited contributions to get committer
review--or at the very least a comment from them saying yes/no/later.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.