Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by mehdi khalfaoui <me...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/25 14:24:28 UTC

Demanding some help with pdfbox performance issue

Hello pdfbox team,

First of all, thank you for all the amazing work that you are doing
everyday for this great tool.

I'm contacting you because I need your advice in using pdfbox to the
fullest. I'm trying to print a scanned pdf document and it's very slow.
After a lot of debugging and searching, I came cross this link
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-3046 which describes almost
what I'm experiencing. Specially the comment by Mr Petr Slaby.

My code is simple as

Doc doc = new SimpleDoc(new PDFPageable(PDDocument.load(document),
Orientation.AUTO,false,300), DocFlavor.SERVICE_FORMATTED.PAGEABLE, null);

job.print(doc, proprietes);

I'm not sure, but I believe there is some issuing when ttf is in play.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Mehdi KHALFAOUI

Re: Demanding some help with pdfbox performance issue

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 25.06.2019 um 16:24 schrieb mehdi khalfaoui:
> Hello pdfbox team,
>
> First of all, thank you for all the amazing work that you are doing
> everyday for this great tool.
>
> I'm contacting you because I need your advice in using pdfbox to the
> fullest. I'm trying to print a scanned pdf document and it's very slow.
> After a lot of debugging and searching, I came cross this link
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-3046 which describes almost
> what I'm experiencing. Specially the comment by Mr Petr Slaby.

Hello,

The issue also explains the solution: put a non-zero value for the "dpi"
parameter of PDFPageable / PDFPrintable. Start with 300, to see if it is
fast enough... if yes, try 600, i.e. get closer to printer resolution.

I'm surprised that a scanned image would be slow. The problem happens
with some transparencies - if possible, please share the PDF (upload to
sharehoster, don't post).

Tilman

PS: in the future (next topic), please use the users mailing list, not
the dev mailing list.