Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by VELO <ve...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/14 12:25:44 UTC

Fwd: Custom scopes

Hi guys,

 I'm developing a maven compiler mojo to another language (not Java,
 but I prefer don't reveal, at least not now).

 That language have more scopes (total 6).  One (COMPILE) is Java like.
  But the others have different naming:
 RUNTIME on Java there is called EXTERNAL
 PROVIDED on Java looks like to RUNTIME on this language
 SYSTEM  doesn't exist

 I wanna the same Java Scopes, but I wanna to use another name convention.

 How can I create my custom scope and insert they into the maven
 dependency mechanism? I need to do that because I have 2 types of
 transitive dependencies and 3 non transitive.

 Any one can help me?

 VELO

Re: Custom scopes

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
I know one or two things about it.  I wrote one of the two maven
plugins for it.  (http://israfil-mojo.googlecode.com)But you're
talking slightly differently, since these aren't scopes, they're
linking choices.  And some have to do with your deployment and some
have to do with your build.  Maven only handles the build - you still
have to configure how you want to deploy it (as an RSL, or compile
your swcs into your .swf).  This doesn't map to dependency scopes the
way you're trying to do.

The maven-flex-plugin I mention above handles .swc projects which
produce artifacts which can then be listed as dependencies in other
swc or swf projects.  Then there's a goal for copying in swfs
into .war projects so they can be hosted in webapps.  (It doesn't yet
support Air - that's under discusion).

I'm cross-posting this to the other list.  If you want, send your
compiler command-lines, and I can help you configure the plugins to
achieve the same or equivalent result.

Christian.

Re: Custom scopes

Posted by VELO <ve...@gmail.com>.
In Flex, we have 5 scopes....

Re: Custom scopes

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, I have to really dig into Toolchains.   I was somewhat following
the list, but really need to look at the docs to adequately understand
it, and how it might affect the flex plugin.

But it would be good if we could take my list of 5 and generalize
other use-cases (into language-neutral terms, thought probably with
language-specific illustrations) and make those as recommendations for
support in the 2.1 process.  I'm a little hard-pressed to see that
many more generalized use-cases though, and often I've seen people try
to use this kind of scope for something it wasn't intended, as I
suspect is the case here with Velo's effort.

Christian.

Re: Custom scopes

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Custom scopes

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
Now I get it.  You seemed familiar, but my brain wasn't kicking in.
RSL support is certainly something I'm trying to work through, but I
don't think scopes is how it'll happen.  I think it'll rather be types
in the dependency declaration, as Shane suggested, where some scopes
may or may not make sense.

Christian.

Re: Custom scopes

Posted by Marvin Froeder <m...@rvin.info>.

Re: Custom scopes

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Custom scopes

Posted by VELO <ve...@gmail.com>.
So, is possible =D

Re: Custom scopes

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Custom scopes

Posted by VELO <ve...@gmail.com>.

Re: Custom scopes

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Custom scopes

Posted by VELO <ve...@gmail.com>.
Just a clarification,
For now, deployment isn't my first concern.  Now I'm 100% focused on
build the SWF (I know, I need to think in future)

I think Shane has a good point.

If exists any planning to maven supports another languages, some
changes are need.

Some scope doesn't make sense on Java, but do on Flex, .Net, Ruby,
MyHouseLanguage...

How can I keep in touch for these generalizations?

VELO

Re: Custom scopes

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Custom scopes