Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mi...@faa.gov on 2015/08/03 22:45:02 UTC

Problem Executing A Mavan Built Program

I created the source code for a very simple Java program in Eclipse.

Then I ran mvn install to build the program, which worked fine.

The following are the errors I am getting when I try to run the program built by Maven from the command line.  I have included the command prompt errors; the source code and the POM file.  I have also searched extensively for both of the execution time errors I am encountering but have been unable to find any explanation that works, and I've tried several.

Attempt(s) to execute the class file:
H:\EclipseWorkspacesLunaForMaven\SimpleNoLibraryProject\target\classes\main\java\org\prog>java SimpleNoLibraryProgram
Error: Could not find or load main class SimpleNoLibraryProgram

H:\EclipseWorkspacesLunaForMaven\SimpleNoLibraryProject\target\classes\main\java\org\prog>java main.java..org.prog.SimpleNoLibraryProgram
Error: Could not find or load main class main.java..org.prog.SimpleNoLibraryProgram

Attempt to execute the JAR file:
C:\Users\Michael CTR Tarullo.FAA\.m2\program-build-repository\main\java\org\prog\SimpleNoLibraryProgram\1.0>java -jar SimpleNoLibraryProgram-1.0.jar
no main manifest attribute, in SimpleNoLibraryProgram-1.0.jar

Source code:
package main.java.org.prog;

public class SimpleNoLibraryProgram
{
                public static void main(String[] args)
                {
                                System.out.println("Hello Simple No Library Program!!!");
                }
}

POM file:
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
  xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

  <groupId>main.java.org.prog</groupId>
  <artifactId>SimpleNoLibraryProgram</artifactId>
  <version>1.0</version>
 <packaging>jar</packaging>

  <name>SimpleNoLibraryProgram</name>
  <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>

  <properties>
  </properties>

  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>junit</groupId>
      <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
      <version>3.8.1</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>
</project>

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Enterprise Architect
NSRR System Administrator
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

Re: Problem Executing A Mavan Built Program

Posted by Brice Vandeputte <bv...@gmail.com>.
Michael,
 another way is to render your jar file "executable" by adding mainClass
entry to your jar manifest file

 then you will be able to launch your application using

   java -jar yours.jar

 have a look at
https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-archiver/examples/classpath.html#Make
 -- setup a maven jar build plugin into your pom
 -- configure main class four your generated archive
 regards

Posted by Adrien Rivard <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Your packages/directories are not correct:

That should work :
H:\EclipseWorkspacesLunaForMaven\SimpleNoLibraryProject\target\classes> java

--
Adrien Rivard