Posted to general@attic.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2014/01/14 10:17:25 UTC

Moving projects to the Attic

After some time AWOL, I'm digging into the steps needed to move projects to
the Attic.

The process is listed at:

http://attic.apache.org/process.html

Historically I could take care of a lot of it, with a ticket to Infra for a
couple of the items. I've a strong suspicion that I can't do most of these
things anymore.

Digging into the details:

   1.
      - Inform users
      - Update website with Attic notice *
      - Update HEADER.html in downloads *
      - Update the project DOAP file *
      - Point SVN mails to general at attic **
      - Make SVN + JIRA/Bugzilla read-only **
      - Delete from committee-info.txt **
      - Create page on Attic site
      - Turn off automated builds *
      - Remove from www.apache.org navigation **?
      - Close down infrastructure resources *
      - Announce on announce at apache.org
   2. Open a new ticket with a due date 6 months in the future:
      - to consider deleting the user list *
      - to strip dist/project and add a .htaccess containing:

      RedirectMatch permanent .*
http://attic.apache.org/projects/${project}.html

The project handles the informing of users. After that it's over to the
Attic. I've marked the items with a ** if there ones I formally handled and
no longer have access, and ones with a * that required Infra assistance
previously.

As you can see, it's basically all Infra items now.

Are there any suggestions on the best way to proceed? Is Infra okay with
getting the larger ticket, and what's the best way to formulate it?

Hen

Re: Moving projects to the Attic

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 16 January 2014 14:56, Henk P. Penning <pe...@uu.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2014, sebb wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:51:57 +0100
>>
>> From: sebb <se...@gmail.com>
>> To: Henk P. Penning <pe...@uu.nl>
>> Cc: general@attic.apache.org,
>>     Apache Infrastructure <in...@apache.org>
>> Subject: Re: Moving projects to the Attic
>>
>> On 16 January 2014 10:45, Henk P. Penning <pe...@uu.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, 16 Jan 2014, sebb wrote:
>

>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/subversion/authorization/generate-dist-authorization
>

>>>   Also, for the record, "infra" wants to remove the dist/dev/esme
>>>   and dist/release/esme areas (six months after 'attic' day).
>>

>> The dev/esme tree could be deleted immediately.
>> I assume svnpubsub will have to be switched off for the release tree
>> first.
>> And that can only happen after the .htaccess redirects have been set up.
>> Once release/esme is deleted, the esme/.htaccess file will no longer
>> be anywhere in current SVN - the only copy will in backups.
>

>   Ah yes ; I forgot that after six months the dist/TLP/ should be
>   stripped down to a .htaccess (not removed, as I said).
>

>> Perhaps the .htaccess redirects should be added to the parent (dist)
>> directory, in which case the esme directory could be removed entirely
>> from dist?
>>
>> It seems a bit unnecessary for all attic projects to have directories
>> which only contain .htaccess files, but perhaps there is a reason why
>> this is better than updating the parent .htaccess file.
>

>   I dont' think putting the redirects in "dist/.htaccess" can be made
>   to work properly. In the 'Redirect' the first argument must be an
>   absolute path, and that won't work on the mirrors ;
>   .htaccess doesn't take Directory directives ;
>   hence the 'RedirectMatch' in (fi) "dist/beehive/.htaccess".

OK, that's a pity.

>   I /would/ like to remove (in /dist/) anything pointing to an attic'ed
>   TLP after some time ; say 2 years.
>
>   -- Would anybody veto that :-?

So for example beehive and harmony and jakarta would now be candidates
for deletion?

I assume the original websites would remain.
If the redirects were removed, the mirror download pages would break completely.
At present they redirect to the Attic holding page; I think they would
404 instead.

It would be a lot of effort to update all the site download pages to
document or fix this, and deleting the pages would lose useful
information.

Keeping the redirects would avoid this.

My vote would be -1 (but is not binding).

>> I note that the parent directory (dist) does not seem to be in SVN.
>> Maybe it should be, in which case attic dirs could be moved to that
>> for ongoing maintenance.
>

>   ... dist/.htaccess doesn't get synced from mino to the rsync servers ...
>   ... I think the attic'ed TLP's shouldn't be moved ; setting proper
>       (@attic) rw-rights is enough.
>

>>>   IHMO, it would be a lot simpler if 'project' esme could simply
>>>   move from (defunct) pmc-esme to pmc-attic ; A PMC can run more
>>>   than one project.
>>

>> Not sure I follow how that would work technically with the existing
>> auth files.
>

>   The /dist/ svn auth file is generated (url above) ; the script could/
>   should be made smarter (it should know about attic'ed projects).
>   I don't know if there is a reliable database saying "project esme
>   now belongs to pmc-attic".

If the only place that needs to know about them is the script, then it
could be listed there.
As is done for projects that allow non-PMC RMs.

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 16 January 2014 10:45, Henk P. Penning <pe...@uu.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2014, sebb wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 00:39:23 +0100
>> From: sebb <se...@gmail.com>
>> To: Henk P. Penning <pe...@uu.nl>
>> Cc: general@attic.apache.org,
>>
>>     Apache Infrastructure <in...@apache.org>
>> Subject: Re: Moving projects to the Attic

>>> Hi,

>>>   Shouldn't the (svn) permissions for 'site' and 'dist' be
>>>   transfered from project committers to attic committers ?
>>>   to freeze the web-site and dist-area, and let 'attic' do
>>>   its thing?
>>>

>> If Infra are happy with the idea, then updating the authn files can be
>> done by the following groups:
>>
>> [/infrastructure/trunk/subversion/authorization]
>> @member = rw
>> @pmc-chairs = rw
>> @svnadmins = rw
>> @board = rw
>> @exec-officers = rw
>>
>> Which should be enough for Attic to assign themselves the necessary
>> karma for the site, as has already been done here:
>>
>> [/websites/production/esme]
>> @attic-pmc = rw
>> @esme = rw
>>
>> Not sure where the dist/release permissions are defined, so I don't
>> know if this can be done by Attic personnel
>

>   That file is generated by 'infra' with :
>

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/subversion/authorization/generate-dist-authorization
>
>   As you can see, at the moment, 'esme' is a special case :
>   "@attic-pmc = rw" is added to [/dev/esme], [/release/esme].

OK, I see.
Then not something Attic could change.

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14 January 2014 09:17, Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
> After some time AWOL, I'm digging into the steps needed to move projects to
> the Attic.
>
> The process is listed at:
>
> http://attic.apache.org/process.html
>
> Historically I could take care of a lot of it, with a ticket to Infra for a
> couple of the items. I've a strong suspicion that I can't do most of these
> things anymore.
>
> Digging into the details:
>

>    1.
>       - Inform users
>       - Update website with Attic notice *

See below

>       - Update HEADER.html in downloads *

See below

>       - Update the project DOAP file *

See below

>       - Point SVN mails to general at attic **
>       - Make SVN + JIRA/Bugzilla read-only **
>       - Delete from committee-info.txt **

Any member or PMC chair has write access to CI.txt

>       - Create page on Attic site
>       - Turn off automated builds *
>       - Remove from www.apache.org navigation **?

Any committer has write access to the source for that; they may not be
able to deploy, but I expect members can deploy.
It's just a bit awkward to find using the CMS.

>       - Close down infrastructure resources *
>       - Announce on announce at apache.org
>    2. Open a new ticket with a due date 6 months in the future:
>       - to consider deleting the user list *
>       - to strip dist/project and add a .htaccess containing:
>
>       RedirectMatch permanent .*
> http://attic.apache.org/projects/${project}.html
>

> The project handles the informing of users. After that it's over to the
> Attic. I've marked the items with a ** if there ones I formally handled and

s/formally/formerly/

> no longer have access, and ones with a * that required Infra assistance
> previously.

Now that downloads are in SVN, it should be possible for the Attic
PMC/helpers to be given write access to the relevant part of the tree
to allow the downloads to be deleted and the redirects set up. This
could be done adhoc or perhaps on a permanent basis - best ask Infra
on that.

Similarly, most websites now use CMS; so again karma could be granted.