Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Eugene Fabrikant <ef...@bluenog.com> on 2008/06/06 18:35:48 UTC

ResourceURL and Spring MVC Portlets

Hi Folks,

I'm looking into utilizing the ResourceURL functionality implemented per
JS2-729 to provide AJAX functionality routed through the portal pipeline
given an arbitrary toolkit.  I've spent some time looking through the
WicketPortlet (really great job Ate!) and I'm trying to determine the
key things I need to cover in order to provide a similar result.  I'd
like to see if I'm on the right track and request any guidance in this
matter.

Here's what I'm seeing so far:

- Generate a ResourceURL utilizing the PortletResourceURLFactory.  In
the case of the simplest Spring MVC view, i.e. JSP would I use a
<portlet:renderURL> tag and set the
PortalReservedParameters.PORTLET_RESOURCE_URL_REQUEST_PARAMETER and any
other application specific parameters namely the AJAX URL of operation?

- Based on the URL parameter that was set by the application I need to
provide logic in the portlet to route whatever the prescribed response
is for the AJAX framework.  Does whatever the response ultimately have
to be set in the PortletResponse

I have a feeling that I haven't even really scratched the surface.  :-/
What other things should I be taking into consideration?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,

--
Eugene Fabrikant
Bluenog

bluenogef (Y!IM, AIM)
732-733-1120 x108 (w)

Re: ResourceURL and Spring MVC Portlets

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Eugene Fabrikant wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm looking into utilizing the ResourceURL functionality implemented per
> JS2-729 to provide AJAX functionality routed through the portal pipeline
> given an arbitrary toolkit.  I've spent some time looking through the
> WicketPortlet (really great job Ate!) and I'm trying to determine the
> key things I need to cover in order to provide a similar result.  I'd
> like to see if I'm on the right track and request any guidance in this
> matter.
>
> Here's what I'm seeing so far:
>
> - Generate a ResourceURL utilizing the PortletResourceURLFactory.  In
> the case of the simplest Spring MVC view, i.e. JSP would I use a
> <portlet:renderURL> tag and set the
> PortalReservedParameters.PORTLET_RESOURCE_URL_REQUEST_PARAMETER and any
> other application specific parameters namely the AJAX URL of operation?
>
> - Based on the URL parameter that was set by the application I need to
> provide logic in the portlet to route whatever the prescribed response
> is for the AJAX framework.  Does whatever the response ultimately have
> to be set in the PortletResponse
>
> I have a feeling that I haven't even really scratched the surface.  :-/
> What other things should I be taking into consideration?
The above should be enough, there really is much more to it :)
Try it out, it should "just" work as expected.

But of course, we only have used this so far with Wicket, so you might have additional/other usages which I might have
missed in the current implementation. in which case I'd be glad to look into them and see if we can incorporate those as
well.

Regards,

Ate