Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> on 2012/01/04 20:33:04 UTC

Oversight of non-mailinglist-ful podlings

Someone created
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/site/trunk/?p=1227271
before the devicemap-commits@ list was created.  I expect no list
received a commit mail about it.

This PMC may want to review its mailer config and/or podling creation
policies to ensure that no changes slip unnoticed.  Saying "once the
commits mail flow, check the svn tree to see what it contained prior to
the first commit that was emailed about" might suffice.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Greg Stein wrote on Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 14:45:24 -0500:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 14:33, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> > Someone created
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/site/trunk/?p=1227271
> > before the devicemap-commits@ list was created.  I expect no list
> > received a commit mail about it.
> >
> > This PMC may want to review its mailer config and/or podling creation
> > policies to ensure that no changes slip unnoticed.  Saying "once the
> > commits mail flow, check the svn tree to see what it contained prior to
> > the first commit that was emailed about" might suffice.
>
> Couldn't we just have a default rule for asf/incubator/ go to
> private@incubator? Once a podling is constructed and configured,

You're glossing over some details here.  How does the commit mail for
"svn mkdir -mm ^/incubator/thismaybeapodlingname/" know what list to
deliver itself to?

The post-commit hook, the mailing lists, and the MX's, run each on
a different host.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Greg Stein wrote on Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:51:59 -0500:
> I worry that something not configured to go somewhere specific, might be
> private.

The mailer config stanza can/should use a 'for_repos = .*asf' directive
to prevent this.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 4, 2012 4:01 PM, "sebb" <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 January 2012 19:45, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 14:33, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>
wrote:
> >> Someone created

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/site/trunk/?p=1227271
> >> before the devicemap-commits@ list was created.  I expect no list
> >> received a commit mail about it.
> >>
> >> This PMC may want to review its mailer config and/or podling creation
> >> policies to ensure that no changes slip unnoticed.  Saying "once the
> >> commits mail flow, check the svn tree to see what it contained prior to
> >> the first commit that was emailed about" might suffice.
> >
> > Couldn't we just have a default rule for asf/incubator/ go to
> > private@incubator? Once a podling is constructed and configured, then
> > its commit emails would go to the correct place.
>
> Seems like a good idea, but why use private@ - commit mails are not
> normally private are they?
>
> Would it not be better to send them to public-commits@incubator.apache.orgor
> general@incubator?

I worry that something not configured to go somewhere specific, might be
private.

Since this kind of misconfig should be rare, it shouldn't flood private@.
It also puts them in front of the PMC itself, many who I hypothesize are
*not* subscribed to general@ or public-commits@ (I never even heard of the
latter!)

Cheers,
-g

Re: Oversight of non-mailinglist-ful podlings

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Greg Stein wrote on Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 14:45:24 -0500:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 14:33, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> > Someone created
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/site/trunk/?p=1227271
> > before the devicemap-commits@ list was created.  I expect no list
> > received a commit mail about it.
> >
> > This PMC may want to review its mailer config and/or podling creation
> > policies to ensure that no changes slip unnoticed.  Saying "once the
> > commits mail flow, check the svn tree to see what it contained prior to
> > the first commit that was emailed about" might suffice.
>
> Couldn't we just have a default rule for asf/incubator/ go to
> private@incubator? Once a podling is constructed and configured, then
> its commit emails would go to the correct place.

We _could_, but someone would need to implement it.  And infra has more
than enough manual steps, thankyouverymuch.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 1:18 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote on Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 22:59:36 +0100:
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>> > This PMC may want to review its mailer config and/or podling creation
>> > policies to ensure that no changes slip unnoticed.  Saying "once the
>> > commits mail flow, check the svn tree to see what it contained prior to
>> > the first commit that was emailed about" might suffice.
>>
>> Sounds good to me.
>
> Committed r1227410 to staging (but not published yet).

FYI I have committed that to site-publish while working on other
changes - it makes sense and we seem to agree on it.

-Bertrand

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> Someone created
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/site/trunk/?p=1227271
> before the devicemap-commits@ list was created.  I expect no list
> received a commit mail about it.

That's me, trying to move forward in the podling creation by doing
what I can myself.