Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Ryan Blue <bl...@tabular.io> on 2021/10/03 21:19:32 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Spark version support strategy

Thanks for the context on the Flink side! I think it sounds reasonable to
keep up to date with the latest supported Flink version. If we want, we
could later go with something similar to what we do for Spark but we’ll see
how it goes and what the Flink community needs. We should probably add a
section to our Flink docs that explains and links to Flink’s support policy
and has a table of Iceberg versions that work with Flink versions. (We
should probably have the same table for Spark, too!)

For Spark, I’m also leaning toward the modified option 3 where we keep all
of the code in the main repository but only build with one module at a time
by default. It makes sense to switch based on modules — rather than
selecting src paths within a module — so that it is easy to run a build
with all modules if you choose to — for example, when building release
binaries.

The reason I think we should go with option 3 is for testing. If we have a
single repo with api, core, etc. and spark then changes to the common
modules can be tested by CI actions. Updates to individual Spark modules
would be completely independent. There is a slight inconvenience that when
an API used by Spark changes, the author would still need to fix multiple
Spark versions. But the trade-off is that with a separate repository like
option 2, changes that break Spark versions are not caught and then the
Spark repository’s CI ends up failing on completely unrelated changes. That
would be a major pain, felt by everyone contributing to the Spark
integration, so I think option 3 is the best path forward.

It sounds like we probably have some agreement now, but please speak up if
you think another option would be better.

The next step is to prototype the build changes to test out option 3. Or if
you prefer option 2, then prototype those changes as well. I think that
Anton is planning to do this, but if you have time and the desire to do it
please reach out and coordinate with us!

Ryan

--
Ryan Blue
Tabular

Re: [DISCUSS] Spark version support strategy

Posted by OpenInx <op...@gmail.com>.
> We should probably add a section to our Flink docs that explains and
links to Flink’s support policy and has a table of Iceberg versions that
work with Flink versions. (We should probably have the same table for
Spark, too!)

Thanks Ryan for the suggestion, I created a separate issue to address this
thing before: https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/3115 .  I will make
this forward.

Posted by Jack Ye <ye...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,