Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Mgr. Janusz Chmiel" <ja...@volny.cz> on 2019/08/17 11:26:19 UTC

please why ANT do not support latest Java JDK

I AM very sad, that perfect tool Ant is not compatible with latest Java
JDK from Oracle. This force developers, who want to build project to use
Java 8 or even Java 7 X if somebody want to build Android apps by using
previously created classes generated by Free Pascal compiler.
This have The following very sad development results.
It is not possible to use Android target 26, because Even Android target
25 is not so compatible as it should with Java compiler from Java 7.
JavaC report some bug. Produced .dex file work but it is not as it
should be. Google Play refuse all .apk files, which donot have Android
Target for Android 6.0, lover versions are not supported.
And several years later, it will be big problem.
I know, that Pascal users are very low frequent. Many developers prefer
Android studio or Java and Kotlin. But I Am visually impaired with no
sight at all. Only Pascal units, which have been created for Free Pascal
compiler Android JVM target allow developers of Pascal to create GUI
with no need to specify GUI object positions values in Pixels or by
using Dips. Because I do not see and I AM not mathematic science, I can
not develop my own mathematical formulas myself which will replace
seeing perception and so I would be able to specify object position
values myself while develop in Android Studio.
And if The situation with ANT and Java from Oracle will not get better,
Pascal apps created by using Free Pascal compiler, JVM Android mode
target will be not published on Google Play, because Google will
increase Android target again and again. I do not think, that Open JDK
for Windows newest version will produce usable .dex files.
I Am not professional to develop my own .class files builder to .dex
which will support newest Java from Oracle myself.
I do not know, if Free Pascal classes can be converted to .dex file by
using Gradle and converting apache ANT project to Gradle will be very
probably not be trivial task.
Any advice is very very welcomed.
Please keep in mind, that it is really not trivial approach to develop
builder, which will force Dex tool to merge and join Classes produced by
Free Pascal compiler, if user want to call Android RTL header
AndroidR14.INC or other. Only Apache ANT in combination with one Java
older version can manage to do that without Dex tool to crash and apps
are usable.
Thank you very much for yours advice.
With warmest regards.
Janusz Chmiel

Re: please why ANT do not support latest Java JDK

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2019-08-17, Mgr. Janusz Chmiel wrote:

> OH. I Am very sorry for my chaos.

No problem.

> So please, if some moderators can remove my previous message, please
> remove it.

This is a mailing list, nobody can remove the messages you've sent from
the inboxes of the recipients :-)

But at least the same people hove received my follow up question and
your clarification.

> I have used ... tool which uses ANT. And it is impossible to use newer
> Java with ANT so users must use Gradle tool.

I think this is much more related to Google switching from Ant to Gradle
as the build tool of choice for Android development at some point in the
past and not related to older or newer versions of Java at all.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: please why ANT do not support latest Java JDK

Posted by "Mgr. Janusz Chmiel" <ja...@volny.cz>.
OH. I Am very sorry for my chaos. I have used Lazandroid module wizard
tool which uses ANT. And it is impossible to use newer Java with ANT so
users must use Gradle tool. So I have thought, that it is problem
between Apache ANT and Java greater versions as 8. So please, if some
moderators can remove my previous message, please remove it. I did not
wanted to send fake information based on my bad conclusion based on
using Lazandroid module wizard tool, which is compatible with older Ant
version and with older Java version too.

Re: please why ANT do not support latest Java JDK

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2019-08-17, Mgr. Janusz Chmiel wrote:

> I AM very sad, that perfect tool Ant is not compatible with latest
> Java JDK from Oracle.

Why do you believe it is not compatible?

We run nightly tests against a lot of JDKs including the early access
builds of JDKs without any problems.

Stefan