Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "David A. Cobb" <da...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/12 14:43:48 UTC

Ubuntu 18.04 problems with JRE

LibreOffice, as installed from the distro seems to have a serious startup
problem with AppArmor, maybe others, I cannot open any document.

SO, I went to Apache & SourceForge and picked up A.O.O 4.1; moved the
'soffice' symlink out of the way and installed it.  At first, it opened and
edited the file I needed most.
Then I noticed the complaint about "Can't find Java Runtime Environment."
I looked around and found the OpenJdk-11 JRE right where I expected it.
So I Googled around and found a Q&A blog-post saying OO required a i386
version of the JRE whereas I have a x86_64 version to match my machine.
I can find an 'i386' version, but I cannot practically satisfy its
dependencies.

FIRST dumb question: is the limitation correct that OO cannot use a 64bit
JRE?
SECOND dumb question: is there another way to solve this hangup.

P.S. I did try to install the 32-bit JRE and probably screwed the pooch --
today I cannot launch OO at all "application cannot be started.
ExceptionManager error in synchronize.
--
David A Cobb, computing dinosaur (Cobol-o-saurus Rex)

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 problems with JRE

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi David,

Am 12.07.2018 um 16:43 schrieb David A. Cobb:
> LibreOffice, as installed from the distro seems to have a serious startup
> problem with AppArmor, maybe others, I cannot open any document.
>
> SO, I went to Apache & SourceForge and picked up A.O.O 4.1; moved the
> 'soffice' symlink out of the way and installed it.  At first, it opened and
> edited the file I needed most.
> Then I noticed the complaint about "Can't find Java Runtime Environment."
> I looked around and found the OpenJdk-11 JRE right where I expected it.

OpenJDK 11? I don't think AOO 4.1.5 can see that version.
See: https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html

I am running AOO 4.1.5 with OpenJDK 1.8.0_171 on Ubuntu 18.04.
You should be able to install it from the Ubuntu repository.

Regards,
   Matthias

Posted by David Robley <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 13/07/18 00:13, David A. Cobb wrote:
> LibreOffice, as installed from the distro seems to have a serious startup
> problem with AppArmor, maybe others, I cannot open any document.
>
> SO, I went to Apache & SourceForge and picked up A.O.O 4.1; moved the
> 'soffice' symlink out of the way and installed it.  At first, it opened and
> edited the file I needed most.
> Then I noticed the complaint about "Can't find Java Runtime Environment."
> I looked around and found the OpenJdk-11 JRE right where I expected it.
> So I Googled around and found a Q&A blog-post saying OO required a i386
> version of the JRE whereas I have a x86_64 version to match my machine.
> I can find an 'i386' version, but I cannot practically satisfy its
> dependencies.
>
> FIRST dumb question: is the limitation correct that OO cannot use a 64bit
> JRE?
That depends; the Windows version of AOO is 32 bit only so requires a 32
bit Java. AOO is available in both 32 and 64 bit versions for Linux, so
you will need the appropriate Java to match the bitness of the AOO you
downloaded.
> SECOND dumb question: is there another way to solve this hangup.
>
> P.S. I did try to install the 32-bit JRE and probably screwed the pooch --
> today I cannot launch OO at all "application cannot be started.
> ExceptionManager error in synchronize.

Cheers
--
David Robley

Political panjandrums prologize pedantic paronomasia.