Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com> on 2017/05/23 17:34:17 UTC

[VOTE] impersonation and application path

Based on the discussion on the dev list on this topic, captured here
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6abb0f58427a70396f943f99adc7534431016024f61703b248ce7bfb@%3Cdev.apex.apache.org%3E>,
a few different approaches were discussed including the pros and cons. I
would like to put the suggested approaches up for a vote. Please go through
the thread above if you are unfamiliar with the topic. Here are the options.

1. Let the default remain as the impersonating user
       a. The user specifies to use impersonated user's directory by
setting the APPLICATION_PATH attribute.
       b. The user specifies the use of impersonated user's resources using
a new setting that will internally set the APPLICATION_PATH to the
corresponding value and any other resources in the future.

2. Change the default from current behavior to use the impersonated user's
resources instead
       a. and b. similar to 1. but specifying impersonating user's
resources instead.

My vote is for Option 1, Sub-option b).

Thanks

Re: [VOTE] impersonation and application path

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
The vote concludes with

2 for keeping the default behavior same as today and adding a new setting
to specify using impersonated user's resources
1 for changing default behavior to using impersonated user's resources and
reusing APPLICATION_PATH to specify path for impersonating user

Thanks

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Vlad Rozov <v....@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Vlad Rozov <v....@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Vlad Rozov <v....@datatorrent.com>.
I don't see how option a is applicable here. In case APPLICATION_PATH is
explicitly specified should not it be used independently of
impersonation? It can point to any location, not necessarily to home
directory of impersonating or impersonated user.

Posted by Sanjay Pujare <sa...@datatorrent.com>.
+1 for Option 1, Sub-option b.