Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Martin Dubuc <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2004/07/08 16:31:09 UTC

Tomcat with SSL/secure="false"

I am having problems with using SSL on Tomcat. When I
add an SSL connector to my server.xml, Tomcat hangs on
startup. I have been able to identify what causes it
to hang, but I still can't figure out why this is
happening. Here are the connectors I have defined in
server.xml:

    <Connector
className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteConnector"
               acceptCount="100" bufferSize="2048"
clientAuth="false"
               compression="off" connectionLinger="-1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
connectionUploadTimeout="300000"
               debug="0" disableUploadTimeout="true"
enableLookups="true"
               keepAlive="true"
maxKeepAliveRequests="100" maxProcessors="100"
               minProcessors="5" port="8080"
protocol="HTTP/1.1"

protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol
"
               proxyPort="0" redirectPort="8443"
scheme="http" secure="false"
               serverSocketTimeout="0"
tcpNoDelay="true"
               tomcatAuthentication="true"
xpoweredBy="true">
    </Connector>
    <Connector
className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteConnector"
               port="8443" minProcessors="5"
maxProcessors="75"
               enableLookups="true"
disableUploadTimeout="true"
               acceptCount="100" debug="0"
               scheme="https" secure="false"
               keystoreFile="/home/www/.keystore"
keystorePass="changeit"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS">
      <Factory
className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteServerSocketFactory"
               clientAuth="false" protocol="TLS"
               keystoreFile="/home/www/.keystore"
keystorePass="changeit"/>
    </Connector>

If I set the secure attribute to false in the SSL
connector, then Tomcat starts without problems. But if
it is set to true, then Tomcat hangs when it loads the
SSL connector. Has someone experienced this problem
before?

I am worried of implication of setting secure to false
with regards to SSL connector.

The version of Tomcat I use is 5.0.19. I am running
Tomcat on FreeBSD 4.10 (I may be experiencing a
limitation of the J2SDK FreeBSD port). Anybody else
running Tomcat with SSL of FreeBSD?

Martin